Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Simulator Error after re-install

Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

I have Version 3759. I was getting the Invocation error after updating.

Using the Uninstall function of the App I have uninstalled XDK and reinstalled. Everything seems to work except for the Simulator window.

The Simulate TAB shows all the relevant information and the device Simulate Window flashes as if it is going to appear but then disappears, so no Simulate window is visible.

I have uninstalled again, rebooted and reinstalled but still the simulator window flashes up and disappears.

I'm running on a new MacBook Pro 2017 with 16GB RAM and MACOS Sierra.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- I recommend you exit the XDK and clear the XDK temporary folders and try again. Instructions here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#recover-xdk < on how to "clear Intel XDK's program and cache directories and files" on your system.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Hi Paul

This did not fix the issue. I have deleted the contents of the folder completely /Users/nick/Library/Application Support/XDK

I also copied the global-setting.xdk file and have tried with it being copied back to the folder and starting afresh and without.

Both times the result is exactly the same, the Simulator window flashes up then disappears.

I have sent the XDK.log file and a screen grab movie of whats happening to html5tools@xdk.com

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- please attach the xdk.log file and movie to a post to this thread, using the "Attach Files to Post" link below the edit window. That email address is only for account and certificate issues. If the movie attachment is too big, provide a link to a download location, instead.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Paul

Bit annoyed, as clearly on the webpage you sent a link to above, it says and I quote:-

"If you can reliably reproduce the problem, please send us a copy of the "xdk.log" file that is stored in the same directory as the "global-settings.xdk" file to html5tools@intel.com."

This I have done only to be told not to use this email address.

Please update you online pages to reflect this.

Logs and screen grab attached.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thanks for pointing out that error in the FAQ, I've corrected it. Unfortunately, we sometimes miss some mistakes in the docs.

I'll pass on the xdk.log file to an engineer who knows the Simulate more deeply. In the meantime:

• Have you tried running the Simulate tab with the "hello cordova" sample? Does it do the same thing there?
  • Also, I notice you have selected an iOS device (which causes the Simulate tab to setup the Cordova iOS framework). What happens if you select an Android device?
0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Hi Paul

Same thing happens whether it be Android or iOS that is used.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Also just tried with the Hello Cordova sample and the same thing is happening, also irrespective of picking Android or iOS as the platform.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Hi Paul

Any news on this, it is severely hampering development as I can no longer debug on device with the latest version.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- no news, yesterday was a national holiday.

You can still debug on device, see > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/lp-debugging < in particular, debugging with Chrome Remote DevTools and an Android device. Follow these instructions:

Since you previously used the Debug tab, the second and third bullets are probably not required, your system should already be setup. Also, see the "Alternatives to the Debug Tab" section of the release notes, where it points to a section of a video (starting at about 18:30 in the video) explaining how to debug using a built app.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Any news on the XDK Simulate TAB issue.

Having to run XDK on Windows at the moment because of the Simulator crash issue on Mac.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nothing to report. If we do identify the source of the problem and a fix for the problem, it will appear in the next release. There's nothing we can do to fix the current release, so sticking with Windows, for now, is your best bet.

0 Kudos