Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

The hand tracking and joint tracking

yinhu_z_
Beginner

I had encountered the following problems when using realsense for hand tracking and joint tracking:
1.Tracking hand to get the rectangular box has some deviation from the true position.The horizontal direction is about 15 pixels and the vertical direction is about 65 pixels need to be adjusted, the tracking of the joint has also encountered the same problem.
2.When the realsense is facing the user placing, hand tracking and joint tracking is better, but when I put realsense placed in top-down shoot desktop like lamps,the effect is very poor, even cannot detect hand.
3 I only need to track the index finger joints, but often appear to track the situation of ring finger.

Hopping somebody can slove my questions!Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
samontab
Valued Contributor II

1. Are you sure you are working in the correct frame of reference?, maybe you are getting the coordinates in one camera and using those coordinates in the other camera?, Check this first, and make sure you are projecting the 3D points into the correct camera.

2. Not sure what you mean here. If you are changing light conditions, of course it will affect the performance. Always check the IR image to see if it is not saturated, or poorly lit. Also, IR light sources can disturb the mechanism that these cameras use, so the less external light, the better. Try running your program in total darkness, the color camera will be dark, but the tracking will still work.

3. Tracking individual fingers is harder than tracking the whole hand. If you only have an image of a single finger it is very hard to estimate which one it is, I mean, think about it, even for a human this can be a hard task. This absolutely depends on how your application works, how you want to detect the fingers, camera position, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
samontab
Valued Contributor II

1. Are you sure you are working in the correct frame of reference?, maybe you are getting the coordinates in one camera and using those coordinates in the other camera?, Check this first, and make sure you are projecting the 3D points into the correct camera.

2. Not sure what you mean here. If you are changing light conditions, of course it will affect the performance. Always check the IR image to see if it is not saturated, or poorly lit. Also, IR light sources can disturb the mechanism that these cameras use, so the less external light, the better. Try running your program in total darkness, the color camera will be dark, but the tracking will still work.

3. Tracking individual fingers is harder than tracking the whole hand. If you only have an image of a single finger it is very hard to estimate which one it is, I mean, think about it, even for a human this can be a hard task. This absolutely depends on how your application works, how you want to detect the fingers, camera position, etc.

0 Kudos