Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

UE4 Plugin

Jan_K_3
Beginner

I've been developing an unreal engine 4 plugin for the RealSense SDK and figured it would be useful to other developers. I was wondering what would be the best way to share this plugin? Other UE plugins of this kind are currently shared on github with full source, but I want to check with anyone from Intel before doing that.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Richard_F_2
Beginner

Very neat.  I've been considering whether or not to switch to UE4.  Unity is my preferred tool, but having to deal with using the Free version is quite annoying.  Now I'm obviously not Intel, but I would guess that a github or bitbucket repo under the appropriate open source license would be fine.  It's not like the SDK code is a secret, and the main restriction on the contest is making sure you have permission to use any assets that you didn't create.  A BSD-3 license - http://www.opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause - should work.

0 Kudos
Jeff_W_4
Beginner

Mate, if you are looking for any testers for your plugin, I would love to give it a go. This year has been a crash-course in UE4/3dsmax/maya for me, but I am still yet to get around to updating my programming to C++. A ready-built plugin for the realsense would be fantastic, and I would love to help out any way that I can ;)

One thing: they sent me a second camera for some reason - do you think linking them up to get better fidelity hand tracking is possible?

Please keep me updated on your progress with the plugin. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jim_V_1
Beginner

Jan,

I would like to get access to your plugin if you are going to release it. There shouldn't be any issues with releasing it. Thanks for working on it it will save tons of time.

0 Kudos
Jan_K_3
Beginner

At the moment the plugin mainly forwards the hand detection/skeletal data in an event driven format and accessible from any blueprint you where you can add a component and an interface. Will need to expose more of the features to UE4 as I get the time and hopefully in time it will be feature complete.

Will preliminarily release a github repo with the current build within a week, but it would be nice to have someone on intel weigh in that it is ok to include the required SDK headers and dll in the repo which allow the plugin to work. The rest of the plugin will likely be released under something like MIT.

Will gladly take any feedback, pull requests, and testers once the first commit has been pushed.

0 Kudos
Jim_V_1
Beginner

Jan K. wrote:

At the moment the plugin mainly forwards the hand detection/skeletal data in an event driven format and accessible from any blueprint you where you can add a component and an interface. Will need to expose more of the features to UE4 as I get the time and hopefully in time it will be feature complete.

Will preliminarily release a github repo with the current build within a week, but it would be nice to have someone on intel weigh in that it is ok to include the required SDK headers and dll in the repo which allow the plugin to work. The rest of the plugin will likely be released under something like MIT.

Will gladly take any feedback, pull requests, and testers once the first commit has been pushed.

Jan,

Any update on releasing the plugin? eager to see what you have done

0 Kudos
Jan_K_3
Beginner

First release is now available at a github repository: https://github.com/getnamo/realsense-ue4

Grab latest zip at: Latest Master zip

You install by simply dragging Plugins and Binaries into your project root and restarting the editor.

It currently supports hand/joint detection and gesture detection in an event-driven format. Please note that this is an early release which means it is neither optimized (processing is done on main thread and will impact your fps) nor supporting a full feature set.

Should you wish to modify anything, full source to the plugin is included with the zip. Feel free to improve and issue pull requests, it should be relatively easy to extend the plugin to a full feature set, though the multithreading optimization may be a bit tougher to get right.

Github readme contains all the current documentation regarding the plugin. Enjoy and share your feedback!

0 Kudos
Priyadhars_K_Intel

Hi Jan,

Do you have any blueprint nodes etc set up for head tracking in unreal 4.9? This is for a FPS game built on unreal 4.9

Urgent help required?

0 Kudos
Jan_K_3
Beginner

priyadharshini-k (Intel) wrote:

Hi Jan,

Do you have any blueprint nodes etc set up for head tracking in unreal 4.9? This is for a FPS game built on unreal 4.9

Urgent help required?

A 4.9 release and update is coming sometime this week with multi-threading support and blueprint raw images/landmarks etc. That should be version you're looking for. Keep an eye out on the repo.

0 Kudos