Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

XDK Doesn't Generate Specific Debug Module

Tester_D_
Beginner

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to use the specific debug module for a tablet but I'm encountering issues.

Just to put it in the exact context, I had to exchange the machine I used to work, having 
a copy of my original project but with the plugin folder empty. 

On the new machine, I created a new blank Cordova project with the same name of the 
original, added the necessary plugins and replaced the standard www folder with
the one from the original project.

Afterwards, when I click on the Debug tab, a list of the Cordova plugins to be 
supported by the debug module appears, to which I click the Start button. The procedure of 
generating the module appears to happen correctly, but when it finishes, the same 
screen with the Start button comes up, showing me no error messages and with the debug 
button on the top-left corner still disabled.

I did the whole process several times with no success, can anyone give me a hint about what
could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Tester -- I just tried building a debug module for a test app and I was successful. Please try the two following things:

• try building a debug module for the "hello cordova" sample app to confirm if you can build any debug modules
  • try building your app with the Build tab to confirm you do not have any config or plugin issues
0 Kudos
Tester_D_
Beginner

Hi Paul, thank you for your reply.

I tried to build a debug module for the Hello Cordova project and also had no luck. The behaviour is the same as with my app.

Building my app worked out, after I inserted a developer certificate that was missing.

I tried building the debug module for Hello Cordova again, after I found out the developer certificate was missing.

Erik

0 Kudos
Tester_D_
Beginner

Hello!

I don't think I was clear with my last message. I still can't generate a debug module, even though building the apk works fine, after I inserted a developer certificate. 

Is there any information I can add or another test I can make to help solving the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Erik

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Erik -- can you provide more details regarding the nature of the failure? There are a variety of things that can go wrong when attempting to use the Debug tab:

• test device cannot be seen by the Debug tab
  • debug module build fails
  • debug module builds, but fails to install on the test device
  • debug module builds and installs, but fails to "auto-start" on the test device
  • test device has run out of memory or storage and needs to be cleaned...

Do the tests described on the debug tab doc pages work? In other words, can you properly "see" the test device using those tests?

If the debug module appears to be getting built, can you locate it using the little "show debug module" folder icon on the Debug tab (lower right of the "you can now begin" screen)?

Does the "paintbrush" icon on the toolbar work when attached to a device? It should display a collection of debug modules on your test device.

0 Kudos
Tester_D_
Beginner

Hello Paul, thank you for your reply!

Now I guess the problem is the part of installing the debug on the test device.

Today I tried to build the debugger on the Profile tab and it fails right after displaying "Installing your project debug module on your testing device" with the error message "Could not install your project debug module on your testing device. Suggestion: Check your USB connection and make sure your device is on". This error message I never got before, to which I tried with no luck sometimes clicking on the Retry button that showed up with the error message.

My test device is always on during the process and I'm not sure how to act on the "Check your USB connection" instruction. I tried the process with two new USB cables.

Erik

0 Kudos
Tester_D_
Beginner

Just found out I actually had a storage problem.

I headed over to the Windows folder where the debug module .apk is downloaded on my computer and installed it manually.

The first time I tried, Android accused a lack of space and only that time I realized the issue, so making room on the memory worked.

After I installed successfully the debugger, I restarted XDK, connected the test device, clicked on the Debug tab and the "paintbrush" icon became enabled with the debugger working just fine.

Thanks for the help Paul!

0 Kudos