Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

device failed due to malfunctioning

antoine_l_1
Beginner

I just buy realsense last week, install the SDK, but still no work.....
My system is windows10 & usb3.0
the error message is "device failed due to malfunctioning"
so this is a hardware problem? or just SDK install failed?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Santiago_A_Intel1

I'm having the same problem!

On Windows 8.1 laptop with USB 3.0

0 Kudos
Peter_E_1
Beginner

Exactly the same problem here but using Win 10 build 10240, USB 3.0 port, Core i7-4700MQ. The color stream seems to work fine but the IR and depth stream is failing. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Ariska_Hidayat
Beginner

Maybe you reinstall cdm v1.4 then you restart the computer with the cable still plugged in to the computer realsense.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

A couple of ideas:

- The camera must be connected at all times. When you install or uninstall it. Keep the camera plugged in, otherwise it will not work.

- Peter, your problem seems to be the power supply. Try a different USB 3.0 port, a different computer, or a powered USB 3.0 hub.

0 Kudos
lwong
Beginner

I am able to start Camera Explorer and it will operate with the camera for a few seconds and then I receive the same error : Device failed due to malfunctioning. I have tried this on both USB 3.0 ports on this brand new Dell Latitude 3450.

0 Kudos
leo_l_
Beginner

It's power issue. I encountered the same problem. I solved by plugging the camera to a USB 3.0 hub with external power supply. 

0 Kudos
romain_d_1
Beginner

leo l. wrote:

It's power issue. I encountered the same problem. I solved by plugging the camera to a USB 3.0 hub with external power supply. 

Can it be a power issue if the camera starts for a few seconds then stops ? Because this is the problem I am facing (I had no problem during the installation).

Cheers

0 Kudos
Carlos_V_
Beginner

I had the same problem and i also solved it using an external powered usb hub (a Targus with a 5V 4A AC Adapter), as you may know the sensor requires an entire usb port and usb hubs divide the bandwith of the port between the connected devices so the camera has to be the only device connected to the hub if you want it to work.

0 Kudos
Jayashree_P_
Beginner

I'm having the same problem "Device failed due to malfunctioning". My Realsense SR300 camera starts for few seconds and i got the error message. For supplying external power to hub, what should be the specification of usb hub power adapter? Can i use 5V 2A AC adapter?

0 Kudos
xiang_y_
Beginner

Just got SR300 and I had exactly the same problem (device failed due to malfunction) on Yoga 3 pro laptop (windows 10 Home, 8GB, x64) using SDK (version 2016 R2).  I have also tried to connect through a Insignia 3.0 USB hub (4ports, 5v-4A adaptor) with just the camera attached but still no avail.  I did not see more posts on this thread, was this issue resolved?

0 Kudos
huan_l_
Beginner

yes ,i solved it using an external powered usb 3.0 hub(UNITEK 4Port 2A), but the SDK initialization very unstable. some time is ok . i notepad pc is Lenovo Thinkpad New S2 , Windows 10 Home , i5-6200U 4G+8G(DDR4), Lenovo's usb problem?

0 Kudos
huan_l_
Beginner

I found an interesting thing, when I use the USB detector with series SR300, it can use the normal as same usb3.0 port. Who can tell me why?

0 Kudos