Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

driver errors on G33 running Vista

jsw
Beginner
My application is failing on various Intel graphics processors running Vista. The same application runs fine on XP. I'm running against the latest driver (7.15.10.1472). When running with the debug DirectX runtime, I'm seeing the following errors from the driver, which I can't find any information on:

Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Failed to Open a shared surface for redirection
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :BitBlt or StretchBlt failed in Present

When I try using the "Break on D3D9 Error" option in the DirectX control panel, my app just hangs when it hits an error, and never stops in the debugger with a breakpoint, so it is difficult for me to tell which D3D calls are causing these errors.

I would appreciate any hints on the cause of these errors.

--Jeff

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jsw
Beginner
I should add that the entire screen goes blank for a second or two, and vista give a notification that says:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered

This occurs at the same time as the error messages in the previous post.

--Jeff

0 Kudos
Chris_M_Intel
Employee

Jeff,

It's hard to tell what you're actually doing to cause the error you're seeing. If you could post the application that shows the problem, that would be helpful. Also, does this work with the previous version of the driver and just fails with the latest one? I'm just trying to tell if you're seeing this as new behavior or if you've never seen it work.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
jsw
Beginner
Thanks for the reply Chris. The same problem occurs with the current driver and a year old driver.

You can get the application here:

http://www.multiverse.net/consumer/gettingstarted.jsp?cid=1&scid=0

On vista, after installation you may need to run the client as administrator the first time so that it can patch itself to the latest version.

You should be able to see the problem with any of the worlds, but I would suggest you try the Multiverse Fantasy Demo World, since that is the one I have been testing.

Thanks for taking a look.

--Jeff

0 Kudos
jsw
Beginner
Is there anyone from Intel's driver team here who can look at this problem? Is there somewhere else that a game developer should go for developer support?

--Jeff

0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1
Hi Jeff,
I checked again, and your problem is already being looked at.
As for the support channel question for developer issues, you can also email us -- however, in most cases, any graphics SW development issues will be handled by essentially the same group of engineers moderating this forum.

==

Lexi S.

IntelSoftware NetworkSupport

http://www.intel.com/software

Contact us

0 Kudos
jsw
Beginner
Thanks for the update. Here are a few more details from my investigations...

I tried capturing a PIX log, but PIX fails to collect any data when the driver crashes.

The DirectX call that is causing the crash is DrawIndexedPrimitive().

I did some experiments in our Model Viewer. Some of our models work ok in the Model Viewer, others cause the driver crash. The only pattern I have seen so far is that models with more complex materials (normal mapping, skeletal animation) are the ones that fail.

I tried loading one of the models that causes the crash on Vista into a Model Viewer running on XP with the DirectX debug runtime set to maximum validation. The only messages I get on XP are some warnings for a few redundant settings of sampler states.

Thanks.

--Jeff

0 Kudos
jsw
Beginner
Any chance I can get an update on this issue? Its been 2 1/2 weeks since first reported. Mostly what I'm looking for is some technical information on what is causing the crash so that I can try and code a workaround and get my customers up and running again. Thanks.

--Jeff
0 Kudos