Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

ide_support_2017 vs update 1

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I have recently installed PS XE Cluster Edition for Linux 2017 Update 1.

I noticed that there is only:

/opt/intel/ide_support_2017

and no /opt/intel/ide_support_2017.1 folder

Were there any changes for update 1 (eclipse integration)?

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jimmy

This is the same to folders: documentation_2017, samples_2017. Only major version is available for those shared components. If there's any change, latest update installed will be updated in this folder.

Hope this explains.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

It explains, but it is of little help.

If the 2017.1 updates overwrites the 2017.0 files, how am I to know what has changed? How would I have the opportunity to retrograde a component in the event that said component is defective? How could I perform a diff on the document files (as well as samples) to see what changed.

Note, the apps, binaries, libs, includes, etc... go into version identified folders, expressly for the purpose of retrograding, identifying, and of helping to fix errant items.

I request in the future that these other components do so as well.

For anyone reading this thread, please add your preference as to if all components of an update are to be placed into an update/version dependent folder?

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jimmy

This is the current design. For the those common/shared components, only a single copy exists containing the newest version. In other words, updates for these common/shared components are installed as “overwrite the existing copy” with newest version.

As far as I know there were quite few changes for those components in updates, except for bug fixes. Escpecially for IDE support component, there should be only one copy allowed to be integrated. Is there any reason for you to compare the changes for this?

Here were the reasons for the Change for your reference:

•Significant cross-product and cross-update content duplication across different installation areas
•Inconsistent naming and versioning for duplicate components

Benefits of the Change

•Create centralized cross-product / cross-update installation area
•Eliminate cross-product / cross-update content duplication
•Increased component sharing by broader user base – yields improved product quality, stability and support
•Consistent cross-product version / update / package numbering
•Flexible,  adaptable to future products with overlap  and content commonalities

Thanks. 

0 Kudos