Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

x87 FPU

logicman112
Beginner
Does Core i7-900 processor have separate physical address/data pins for x87 FPU integrated coprocessor unit?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LexiS_Intel
This type of information can be found in the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual, Volume 1: Basic Architecture. (The full list ofIntel Architecturemanuals can be found here.)

==
Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support

0 Kudos
logicman112
Beginner
Thank you for the reply. I am studying the manual you mentioned. Basic execuation environment of IA-32 shows some FPU instruction/data pointers but it is not clear if some modern intel processors use some pins to fetch code or data regarding to FPU, if not what would be the application of these pointers then.

I know that i should take a look at the date sheets of some intel processors too but it means that i stop reading Basic Architecture and start studying some other manuals while those manuals also depend on the concepts presented in the Basic Archtecture!!

It is like a loop, isn't it better to clarify such things at the first place of the intel documentation. Also if you have some knowledge it would save me lots of time.

Thank you.
0 Kudos