Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

900P in U.2 and PCIE plus VROC on X299

SEric
Novice

I have an Asrock X299 Taichi XE board with 3 M.2 slots.

Can I use the U.2/M.2 drive (or 2) and RAID0 it with 2 900P PCIE 480 GB drives?

( I will have fans, no worries)

If so, which VROC key should be used?

The VROCISSDMOD or the VRPCSTANMOD key, or will either work?

In addition, the U.2 drive with M.2 hardware part, what is the specific item/part number(s) for it?

I am ready to pull the trigger on some drives, and do not want to get something that won't work.

I already have VROC keys.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi birdman941:

I just happened to be checking out this forum after ordering a 900p ssd and noticed your post. I have been reading a lot of coverage about this new type of ssd. One thing that gets mentioned often is that using Optane in RAID 0 slows it down instead of speeding it up since the RAID has the effect of increasing the low latency of Optane. The articles I read mentioned that it is not worth the effort to use RAID, but instead use a larger single ssd (if available) since it is sooooo fast already. If you want to research it there are good online websites like TomsHardware, Anandtech, PCPer, etc. For specific RAID info check out: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-Optane-SSD-900P-480GB-and-280GB-NVMe-HHHL-SSD-Review-Lots-3D-XPoint/RAID-Testi Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB and 280GB NVMe HHHL SSD Review - Lots of 3D XPoint! | RAID Testing and Thermal Throttle Eval…

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I saw the article and video on PC perspective.

Latency on the 900P is on the order of 10 microseconds.

So RAID0 could make it 20 Microseconds, which is still 5 times faster than Samsung.

If that is the only negative to using 900P in RAID, I'll take it.

The throughput is so fast anyway, and the simplifying drive letter assignment in Windows

would be an advantage for its intended use.

If the 900P were available in 960GB or 1TB, that would be different in this case.

I will likely grab a couple of 900P 480 GB drives and see how it runs.

I also have to see if it makes any difference which VROC key I will need to use.

ISSDMOD or STANMOD.

Since there has been so much confusion over VROC,

and which drives it will support, whom is doing the certifications,

where to get the keys, etc. , I suppose I will have to spend a lot of my own time configuring this.

It is my belief VROC should have been a higher priority.

As much as I love Intel products and technology,

(I am a former IPD and ALWAYS used Genuine Intel boards, nics and cpu's,

since PII, PIII and P4. Remember RAMBUS?),

I am somewhat frustrated with the way VROC was bandied about,

yet when folks want to actually implement it,

there are virtually no hands on deck @ Intel.

The MAIN reason I went to X299 was BECAUSE OF VROC and Skylake X and 44 PCIE lanes.

I love the idea and technology of Optane, X299, and VROC,

I am trying to meld them together and RULE THE WORLD!!!! (J/K)

Speed matters.

0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hi again birdman941:

"If the 900P were available in 960GB or 1TB, that would be different in this case." I think I read that Intel plans to add a 960GB and 1.8TB Optane 900p to it's lineup as soon as early 2018. However, it seems to me that with PCIe 4.0 almost ready to be adopted by motherboard makers that Intel would likely wait until that occurs and adapt a new controller that can make use of the additional bandwidth. Might be worth the wait and go all in on a whole new system that makes the current Optane speed seem like a slowpoke? Computers........always changing......always improving......ain't progress wonderful!

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I am building the system NOW.

Waiting is not an option.

X299 + Optane + VROC = Ludicrous speed.

(I do not need to see Star Wars. I saw Spaceballs)

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

On the topic of VROC, the 900P U.2 and RAID 0 this guy got 4X RAID 0 bootable without a key and even created a 8X RAID 0 volume (this is not bootable though):

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97190-VROC-Bootable-Raid-with-Intel-900p-when-will-this-be-supported-in-the-BIOS VROC Bootable Raid with Intel 900p - when will this be supported in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This thread was moved to our /community/tech/intel-virtual-raid-on-cpu Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) community.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello birdman941,

It seems that you have a case opened under your name about the same topic, would you like to continue thought the community or the case that is currently opened.

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

Not sure what that means? I do have an open case and am sharing info with Intel tech support regarding VROC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Birdman941,

No worries, we will continue providing you assistance trough the same case that you have at the moment.

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos