Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

Hard Drive No Longer Boots After Configuration

TAnde10
Beginner

Having a problem with my HP DV7-7000 Quad Edition laptop.

I changed hard drives because the original drive was dying. This laptop came with an onboard 32Gb SS Cache.

After clean reinstalling windows 7 (recovery disks no longer work because I changed hardware), I tried to enable raid with the RST software that came with this laptop, and that's where the trouble began.

This shows the boot order. (Resetting to factory defaults didn't change anything, still couldn't find the boot device.)

This screen showed up after installing the new drive. Never saw it before that. Never did anything with it. I did note that it indicated RAID on the Cache was disabled. I never saw this screen again when I went into RST to accelerate the Cache and I don't know how to invoke it.

Prior to deactivating the Cache as it was (from the factory) and reactivating with the new drive.

The screens showing what I did. I chose to accelerate Disk on port 0, the system disk. (Was this the error I made that caused this problem?)

Shows how it's all configured.

On restart, no boot device.

I put in the windows 7 installation stick, at the language screen I pressed Shift + F10... This shows that diskpart can't even see the system disk. (Volumes 1 & 2 are a second disk in the second drive bay.)

This shows that the system disk is active, basic, and intact. Not corrupted, yet the laptop can't recognize it or find it. How do I correct this? (I am looking at this in a drive enclosure on a second laptop.)

I would reinstall windows but startup/installation can't find the disk at all.

I could format this drive with another computer using a disk enclosure. Would this solve my problem?

Please help. This is taking hours and hours and hours to figure out.

Thank you.

EDIT**

New partition image: The first partition shows unallocated - seems odd to me.

Consequently, I've put in the dying drive and it booted fine, it also loads the RST boot screen prior to starting windows. :-/

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

rouge: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities and for providing those pictures. We will do our best on order to try to fix this problem.

Since you replaced the hard drive, what we need to do know is disassociate the SSD from the old hard drive, since the SSD is still looking for it. In order to do that, once you boot to Windows, as it shows on the 3rd picture, please select "Disassociate" and then select "Reset to available" for the SSD to recognize the new hard drive.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

rouge: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos