Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Intel RST will not let me enable the Auto-rebuild on hot swap plug!

KMcGu3
Beginner

It is disabled with NO place to enable it! Also the email section does not connect to my GMail account. Always fails! I use the smtp.gmail.com with port 465 and it fails every time!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated. 

Is the system running any RAID configuration? 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Please provide System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology:

View System Report

To view a system report, follow these steps:

• Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  • Click the Help icon.
  • Click the System Report icon.

Save System Report

To save a system report, follow these steps:

• Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  • Click the Help icon.
  • Click the System Report icon.
  • Click Save.

Please provide picture/screenshot of the steps that you are doing to enable the Auto-rebuild

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner
Please find attached all the files and info you requested to help me solve and fix my Intel issues!! Kit McGuire ----- Original Message ----- From: Intel Forums To: kitmcguire@gmail.com Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 1:31 PM Subject: AdrianM_Intel answered you: Intel RST will not let me enable the Auto-rebuild on hot swap plug! Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated. Is the system running any RAID configuration? 1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) - Intel® SSU Download link - Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". - Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". - To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please provide System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology: View System Report To view a system report, follow these steps: - Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). - Click the Help icon. - Click the System Report icon. Save System Report To save a system report, follow these steps: - Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). - Click the Help icon. - Click the System Report icon. - Click Save. Please provide picture/screenshot of the steps that you are doing to enable the Auto-rebuild Best regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician AdrianM_Intel (Intel) Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated. Is the system running any RAID configuration? 1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) a.. Intel® SSU Download link b.. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". c.. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". d.. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please provide System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology: View System Report To view a system report, follow these steps: a.. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). b.. Click the Help icon. c.. Click the System Report icon. Save System Report To save a system report, follow these steps: a.. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). b.. Click the Help icon. c.. Click the System Report icon. d.. Click Save. Please provide picture/screenshot of the steps that you are doing to enable the Auto-rebuild Best regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician View/Answer or reply to this email Replying to KMcGu3 (Customer) asked a question. Monday, March 2, 2020 3:03 PM Intel RST will not let me enable the Auto-rebuild on hot swap plug! It is disabled with NO place to enable it! Also the email section does not connect to my GMail account. Always fails! I use the smtp.gmail.com with port 465 and it fails every time! AdrianM_Intel (Intel) Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated. Is the system running any RAID configuration? 1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) a.. Intel® SSU Download link b.. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". c.. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". d.. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please provide System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology: View System Report To view a system report, follow these steps: a.. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). b.. Click the Help icon. c.. Click the System Report icon. Save System Report To save a system report, follow these steps: a.. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). b.. Click the Help icon. c.. Click the System Report icon. d.. Click Save. Please provide picture/screenshot of the steps that you are doing to enable the Auto-rebuild Best regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:30 PM You're receiving emails when someone "Comments on my posts." To change or turn off Forums email, log in as 300002560517@intel.com.isvc. Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute ". For Privacy and Legal notices, please visit these links: http://www.intel.com/privacy, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html.
0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner

My system is in fact set up as a RAID1 system, but I also have a 3rd HDD which is not a part of the RAID1. I emailed you all the info you asked for which I hope you received.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

Thank you for your reply.

We did not get the reports and the screenshots of the steps that you are doing to enable the Auto-rebuild could you please attach the reports directly to the thread?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner

Enclosed are the files you asked for. There is nothing I can do to Enable Auto-Rebuild since there is NO option to do so! The email function also Fails no matter what I try to do including trying various Ports for Gmail. Also....in Device Manager it shows that my Storage Controller is an Intel driver but, it should be an Intel RAID driver! It shows I am using the Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller with the following driver files: iaStorAC.sys and iaStorF.sys. So it seems I have 3 issues with the Intel software installed: Auto-Rebuild, email and Storage Controller, PLUS when your web site scans my system it says I have NO Intel software installed, yet I do have RST running in the Taskbar as well as the Intel Driver & Support Assistant!

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

Based on the report provided and the specs of your computer, I can see that it has an Intel(R) X38/X48 Express chipset which is based on ICH no PCH(Platform Controller Hub), therefore, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) is not compatible with ICH (I/O Controller Hub ICH). Please take in consideration that using a no validated tool for this chipset might not work properly, instead of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) your computer should use Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) our recommendation is to contact the system manufacturer for further assistance with Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM).

Note:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (Validated chipsets)

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner
So what you are trying to tell me is that there is no way I will be able to hot swap a new hard drive should the present one fail!? OR.....I have to start all over again from scratch and reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate, but during the install I have to press F6 at some point to install drivers from a flash drive (not enough room on a floppy drive for the drivers.....I tried that). Kit McGuire ----- Original Message ----- From: Intel Forums To: kitmcguire@gmail.com Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 12:28 PM Subject: AdrianM_Intel answered you: Intel RST will not let me enable the Auto-rebuild on hot swap plug! Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for your reply. Based on the report provided and the specs of your computer, I can see that it has an Intel(R) X38/X48 Express chipset which is based on ICH no PCH(Platform Controller Hub), therefore, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) is not compatible with ICH (I/O Controller Hub ICH). Please take in consideration that using a no validated tool for this chipset might not work properly, instead of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) your computer should use Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) our recommendation is to contact the system manufacturer for further assistance with Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM). Note: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (Validated chipsets) Regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician AdrianM_Intel (Intel) Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for your reply. Based on the report provided and the specs of your computer, I can see that it has an Intel(R) X38/X48 Express chipset which is based on ICH no PCH(Platform Controller Hub), therefore, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) is not compatible with ICH (I/O Controller Hub ICH). Please take in consideration that using a no validated tool for this chipset might not work properly, instead of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) your computer should use Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) our recommendation is to contact the system manufacturer for further assistance with Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM). Note: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (Validated chipsets) Regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician View/Answer or reply to this email Replying to KMcGu3 (Customer) asked a question. Monday, March 2, 2020 3:03 PM Intel RST will not let me enable the Auto-rebuild on hot swap plug! It is disabled with NO place to enable it! Also the email section does not connect to my GMail account. Always fails! I use the smtp.gmail.com with port 465 and it fails every time! AdrianM_Intel (Intel) Hello KMcGu3, Thank you for your reply. Based on the report provided and the specs of your computer, I can see that it has an Intel(R) X38/X48 Express chipset which is based on ICH no PCH(Platform Controller Hub), therefore, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) is not compatible with ICH (I/O Controller Hub ICH). Please take in consideration that using a no validated tool for this chipset might not work properly, instead of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) your computer should use Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) our recommendation is to contact the system manufacturer for further assistance with Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM). Note: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (Validated chipsets) Regards, Adrian M. Intel Customer Support Technician Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:28 AM You're receiving emails when someone "Comments on my posts." To change or turn off Forums email, log in as 300002560517@intel.com.isvc. Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute ". For Privacy and Legal notices, please visit these links: http://www.intel.com/privacy, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html.
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) has not been validated for your system/hardware set up because of this some features might not be available.

Based on your system hardware you should be using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) for this reason, we recommend you to contact the system manufacturer.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner

Is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM). software that I myself can and should install? If so, where can I find it in order to download it and install it? I do still have your Intel Driver & Support Assistant software running if that matters any.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

The recommended Intel® Rapid Storage Technology/Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) version for your system is 9.6.0.1014 based on HP's official website. The product name was changed from Intel® Matrix Storage Manager to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) beginning with version 9.5. the system manufacturer released the latest version 9.6.0.1014 for your system which is going to be named Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), this happens because the system manufacturer was able to release the version 9.6. which uses customized drivers.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
KMcGu3
Beginner
Hello Adrian!!!! I have some great news!!! After UNinstalling every hint of Intel on the system and rebooting numerous times, I then installed the recommended file/drivers and low and behold it is now the right Storage Controller and the service is up and running in the background! Now....I have to ask and wonder if anything goes wrong with one of the hard drives, will I be able to HOT SWAP the defective drive!? Kit McGuire
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KMcGu3,

I am glad to know that after installing the recommended version of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) your system is working fine now.

Regarding your question about the hot-swap, for my understanding, this feature is for server chipsets also Hot swap is a feature supported by the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST). Upon checking some manuals of your computer it seems that AHCI features can be enabled but it's better to confirm this feature with the system manufacturer because OEMs/motherboard manufacturers must correctly enable hot-swap capability in the system BIOS (if available).

Here is a manual about RAID configuration for HP xw4600 Workstation (Hopefully this works).

Here the requirements for Hot Swap Feature:

Hot-Swap Feature for Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos