Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

Is the Micron 9300 Pro/Max NVMe SSD supported by Intel VROC 6.2?

jingxuan
Novice

Hello

I would like to find out if the Micron 9300 Pro/Max NVMe SSD is supported by Intel VROC 6.2. I noticed that with both the 6.2 and the newer 6.3, supported Micron SSDs include the 9100 and 9200 series, but not the 9300 series.

Is this true or is the documentation outdated?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingxuan
Novice

Hi Bruce

Sorry for the inactivity. I received my Micron 9300s and seem to be able to create the RAID 0 volume. The two SSDs were subsumed into a single drive — which is the only thing I can say about it that seem to suggest that VROC is working as it should.

What other ways can I use to verify that my VROC is set up properly?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I received your ticket regarding the supported drives for Intel VROC, I will be glad to assist you.

The latest document available is the one you mentioned in your post for version 6.3, so the information is correct.

The drive not being listed there does not mean it will not work, it is just not supported/validated by us, you may still try to use other drives and they may be recognized without issue, but as mentioned in the document, this will be done at your own risk.

The document may be updated later to include other drives, but right now that is the latest information we have.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker Intel

0 Kudos
jingxuan
Novice

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your response.

To be clear, we have the Intel VROC 6.2.

Hopefully someone else who has tried it can come and verify if it works / doesn’t work.

Is the documentation updated periodically? I would like to procure the SSDs as soon as possible and not sure how long I should wait for a reply here or look forward to an updated list.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

Right now there is no actual time-frame I can provide for an update or new list to be released, but if any of the community members have tested this specific drive model, they are more than welcome to provide any information they can.

Another option could be contacting the system manufacturer to check if they have additional details regarding other VROC configurations. They may have tested different drives or they could be aware of other users testing different drives in similar systems.

What is the model of your system/motherboard?

Regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
jingxuan
Novice

Hi Bruce

I have the Supermicro X11DAi-N.

To clarify, you’re saying that Supermicro might know better?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

They may be aware of other hardware/SSDs that work with Intel VROC beyond the ones in our list, either because they have tested them or other users have reported them; it is just a possibility as this is not for sure.

For example, ASUS validates the use of the Hyper M.2 card with VROC on some ASUS motherboards, this is not validated by us, but I have even seen it tested with NVMe drives not part of the list of supported SSDs for VROC.

I also wanted to check if Supermicro had a different list of supported drives, but looks like the list they provide is based on our list according to this document:

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-VROCxxxMOD_Windows.pdf

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your ticket in case I can be of assistance.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

The thread will be closed right now since further assistance was not requested and there are no additional details we can provide a the moment.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new community thread or contact us via any of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
jingxuan
Novice

Hi Bruce

Sorry for the inactivity. I received my Micron 9300s and seem to be able to create the RAID 0 volume. The two SSDs were subsumed into a single drive — which is the only thing I can say about it that seem to suggest that VROC is working as it should.

What other ways can I use to verify that my VROC is set up properly?

BrusC_Intel

Hello, @jingxuan.

I'm really glad to hear that they worked.

If you can create the volume, format it, and transfer files to/from it, it should be fine, additionally, the Intel VROC GUI would let you know if there was a problem with the volume or the drives.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingetn Woerker at Intel

0 Kudos