Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

RAID rebuild completes - BSOD - RAID rebuild completes - BSOD - and so on - volume is fine....

MBoya
Beginner

I have a Supermicro system, X10DRi motherboard with onboard Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit on an Intel 535 240GB SSD drive.

I recently replaced 4x Seagate 4TB enterprise drives with 6x 4TB (ST4000NM0035-1V4107) enterprise drives.

Using the Intel RSTe application I created a RAID 5 volume, this took about 72 hours, the RAID 5 volume appears as a drive, I can write to it and read from it, the system is running a CCTV server and is constantly writing to the drives, no problem.

Soon after, I can’t be sure how soon as this started some weeks ago and I am not in attendance all the time, the system started rebooting for no apparent reason - I say no apparent reason because I was not present and the reports about what was happening were not at all specific, in the end I worked out it was rebooting typically 2 times a day, at intervals of 12 to 16 hours.

At this point I replaced the Motherboard with a new replacement of the same model, no change.

So I pointed a CCTV camera at the screen a discovered is was blue screening with the following message, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (iaStorA.sys), then it recovers and reboots and works fine for another 12 to 16 hours - a quick Google suggested this error message might be related to the SSD drive, so I used an identical SSD drive and cloned the Windows system drive then booted from this, no change.

I have also gone through the motions of uninstalling drivers, updating, rolling back, trying the Intel driver update tool - taking Intel's advice of only using drivers from the motherboard manufacturer etc.

Every time the system reboots it rebuilds the RAID 5 volume, it gets to 100% and displays a pop-up balloon saying the rebuild is complete and then blue screens again, and so the cycle repeats - after a few more days I thought ok just cancel the rebuild, tried that and it also triggers the blue screen.

Now I am here wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Incidentally, I have an identical system running identical software with identical hardware (albeit 4x 4TB drives) and that system is happy as Larry - and comparing the BIOS settings doesn't flag anything alarming.

Obviously as I cloned the Windows system drive it could be a Windows configuration issue that I have cloned - but I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall Windows as that will take the system offline for a half a day, I wouldn’t mind if a new install guarantees a fix but right now I'm not convinced.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe). If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions. • We will like to know if you are using the drivers provided by your motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Supermicro*. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBoya
Beginner

Hi Josh

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The SSU logs, Disk management screenshot and RSTe screenshot are attached.

I can also send you a video of the Blues Screen event if helpful.

Yes I am using the drivers provided by the motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Supermicro.

Thanks & Regards

Max Boyack

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for your reply. We are not able to see any file attached to your reply. Would you mind to try again to provide us with The SSU logs, Disk management screenshots, and RSTe Screenshot? We will be looking forward to your reply including this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBoya
Beginner
Trying again. Max Boyack
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for your reply. We are not able to see any file attached to your reply. Would you mind to try to zip all the files and to try one more time? We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBoya
Beginner
Hi Josh, zip file attached, if that doesn’t work please try this Wetransfer link: https://we.tl/t-xXtYUTDP4b Regards Max Boyack
0 Kudos
MBoya
Beginner

I have sent the above reply via email 2 times with attachments, first time about 24hrs ago, and then the above about 1hr ago, seems some emails are not getting to you and the attachments are never getting through.

As you can see above I have also uploaded the requested files to Wetransfer, I'm also attempting to attach them to this post, hopefully you will be able to get them one way or another this time.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for your reply. We were reviewing the information you provided and we noticed that your RAID is on Verifying and repairing mode. This is not normal and could be related to the same issue you are reporting that the system rebuilds the RAID array every time that you restart your PC. Based on the SSU there does not seem to be any problem when the RAID detection on the system. This been said we advise you to check the HHDs that you are using with Seagate* and to open a ticket in parallel with Supermicro* to discard any hardware issue. From our side, we advise you to back up your information and to try to reinstall your OS or to clone the OS from the second equipment that you build that is working fine. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBoya
Beginner
Hi Josh Thanks for your reply. Actually in my opinion the system is NOT rebuilding the RAID array every time I restart the PC, it seems to me it is the other way around – when the rebuild completes the system crashes (Blue Screen) and automatically reboots, likewise if I manually cancel the rebuild it causes the system to crash (Blue Screen) and automatically reboot. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. I will try to clone the good Windows installation to see if that solves the issue. Regards Max Boyack
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for your reply. The only recommendation is to check if you are using the latest version of the RSTe drivers available on your OEM website and to check the firmware on the HDDs. We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results of cloning the OS from the second PC. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello MBoya, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos