Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

VROC, SAMSUNG PM961 RAID UNSUPPORTED

waltrox
Beginner

Hi there!

I bought a Dell Precision 5820, compatible but not configured for RAID1 over VROC technology.

So I bought from third party

- Intel VROC Key Premium

- 2x Samsung PM961 (supported third pary vendor SSDs)

and I installed them on the workstation.

Entering Intel(R) VROC configuration on boot (version 6.2.0.1034) I see the SSDs but it's impossible to configure them on RAID1: clicking on the disk it says RAID unsupported.

What do I have to do please, I'm going crazy!

Thank you, 

Walter

screenshotscreenshot

7 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @waltrox.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I received your ticket regarding Intel® VROC, I will be glad to assist you.

Based on your screenshot, I checked the motherboard's user manual and confirmed this system uses the X299 chipset, this means that only Intel® drives are supported for Intel® VROC configurations.

-User manual: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-5820-workstation_owners-manual2_en-us.pdf

Please review the following document for additional information about Intel® VROC on X299 platforms:

- Intel® VROC support on X299 FAQ: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf

Based on this document, please take into consideration the following:

Intel® VROC is targeted as an enterprise product, mainly for Servers and Workstations. Also, per the details found in the article “Intel® VROC Support on X299 FAQ”, Intel® VROC was enabled on X299 client platforms (see below). This initial decision was made at the time of launch in 2017. Since then, it has become apparent that Intel® RST (and not Intel® VROC) is the better product to support SSD RAID on X299 platforms, partly because of Intel® RST availability, broad SSD support and no need for an extra HW key. Intel® RST is free and it supports Intel® as well as NON-Intel® storage devices.

Intel® VROC will continue to have its HW Key licensing policies, which are more in line with enterprise product expectations. From the above explanation, we hope it’s clear that for X299 / client platforms, our customers do NOT require purchasing Intel® VROC key for RAID 0 (even with NON-Intel® drives). Please use Intel® RST instead of Intel® VROC for RAID 0 and other configurations.

It is also recommended to contact the system manufacturer as they may have other information about non-Intel SSD on X299 platforms or other supported configurations.

This being said, I will proceed to close the thread, but if you require further assistance, please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Aaron33
Novice

You are offering SOFTWARE Raid. What we need is the HARDWARE Raid.

Why don't you support brands other than Intel SSD/Nvme? 

Please solve our problem by updating the BIOS.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

VROC, like RST, offers a hybrid H/W-S/W solution. If you want H/W RAID, go purchase a H/W RAID card (Mr. Deep Pockets).

Why offer a feature that doesn't put additional money towards Intel's bottom line? Humor aside, I believe the capabilities of the NVMe card make a difference.

Intel doesn't provide the BIOS, the board vendor does. I am unsure it's that simple, however.

...S

0 Kudos
Aaron33
Novice

Dell Precision 5820 | 7820 | 7920 Tower platforms has an internal raid controller(MegaRaid).

Unfortunately Software Raid performance is lower than that of Hardware Raid.

Also, software raid not bootable so the OS cannot be installed.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not true; Intel RAID is bootable and the O/S *can* be installed (you just have to insert the drivers into the image or load them during the install).

...S

0 Kudos
Aaron33
Novice

I insert the drivers(iaVROC.sys) and Windows 10 loading on Nvme RAID. But Windows doesn't open after installation. Because Software Raid => " Intel Virtual Raid On CPU Program - (Intel(R) VROC (in pass-thru mode)" not bootable.

I think it needs a Intel VROC Premium Hardware Key to boot.
VROCPREMMOD is very expensive and it's not sold anywhere.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296890-Sabrent-Rocket-12GB-s-VROC&fbclid=IwAR21rm0EXNIs5De-5hYwxSZXwZ5wrIhMEUnXrSSU_a4h-BVR2stMtZsmCRw

Bu 

0 Kudos
Aaron33
Novice

Intel Virtual RAID on CPU. (software raid)

fail.jpg

0 Kudos