Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

VROC email notification

AmsiDC
Beginner

Hello,

I have a question regarding alerting in case of a nvme drive fail. 

My current setup:

• 4x 1tb NVME Intel drives
  • Windows 2019 STD with 7.5.3 driver (Lenovo)
  • Intel GUI 7.5.3.1002
  • Volume RAID 10
  • Volume is not a boot drive
  • Notification via email setup for Info, Warnings and Errors

The client sees all drives and all volumes. While testing, I've physically removed 1 drive.

Volume went into degraded state after powering on the server. Checked via UEFI. 

Booting into Windows and waiting for a notification to come via email that never came.

After a successful login the taskbar service starts up and I receive the email that my volume is in degraded state. Powered off the server. Reinstalled the removed drive. Booted the server. Waited for any email to be sent. Noticed I will receive an email only if I'm logged into the system. 

My question:

Since the manual says that the configurations are "per user" basis, I have a problem with that since it's a server used by multiple people and as such could log with different users. 

• Can you run this the notification service as part of the windows services and on windows boot?
    • I couldn't spot this on the list of services.
  • If I'm not logged in Windows, how can I get notified in case of a failed nvme drive?
    • pushing it to startup for all users is not an option since configurations are per user.

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmsiDC.

Thank you very much for your patience and your time.

After reviewing your case with the VROC engineering team, we can confirm there is no possible workaround we can provide as being logged in is a requirement for the e-mail notification service to work, and this is the expected behavior, meaning that the only alternative would be to lock the session after you log in so it stays that way.

With this being a Lenovo system, you also have the option to review this with them in case they can provide you with alternatives or do something with their own VROC implementation for that particular platform.

That being said, and since there is no additional assistance or information we can provide on this topic, the thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmsiDC.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your case regarding the VROC event notifications sent via e-mail, and I will be assisting you with this.

There are no methods we can provide to set it up the way you want, but I can definitely investigate if there is more information we can share.

Please let me know the following:

1. What is the VROC preOS version in BIOS? (visible in the VROC UEFI HII)

2. What is the exact model of the server system being used?

3. Have you tried to review this with the system manufacturer or OEM?

- This is because each OEM customizes the solution for their own platforms.

4. Do you (or someone at your company) have access to the Intel Premier Support portal (IPS)?

I will follow up on September 6th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
AmsiDC
Beginner

Hello Bruce,

My answers bellow.

1. What is the VROC preOS version in BIOS? (visible in the VROC UEFI HII)

• Lenovo Xclarity Provisioning manager / Xclarity Controller
  • Vroc version updated from 6.0 to 7.5.0.1152 after firmware updates to the latest versions. (attached)

2. What is the exact model of the server system being used?

• Lenovo ThinkAgile MX1021 based on ThinkSystem SE350 (updated to the latest firmwares)

3. Have you tried to review this with the system manufacturer or OEM?

• I had the problem when installing windows with their deployment service, vroc gui simply didn't work. Only after installing Windows 2019 STD without Lenovo deploying tools, GUI started to work. I have an open discussion with Lenovo support on this topic as well on why/what is blocking Intel vroc GUI, but since the problem was identified and we are ok installing windows the way we did I wanted to proceed on this notification issue. 

- This is because each OEM customizes the solution for their own platforms.

4. Do you (or someone at your company) have access to the Intel Premier Support portal (IPS)?

• No, I just came here to the community forum, same as I did with Lenovo one. To seek for some answers.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

BR

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmsiDC.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow us to work on this and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
AmsiDC
Beginner

Hello Bruce,

Any update regarding this?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmsiDC.

Thank you for your time.

There are no updates I can share at the moment, but we are currently confirming with the VROC engineering team if there are any other methods or a workaround for the "logged-in" requirement.

I will get back to you as soon as there is any information I can share.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmsiDC.

Thank you very much for your patience and your time.

After reviewing your case with the VROC engineering team, we can confirm there is no possible workaround we can provide as being logged in is a requirement for the e-mail notification service to work, and this is the expected behavior, meaning that the only alternative would be to lock the session after you log in so it stays that way.

With this being a Lenovo system, you also have the option to review this with them in case they can provide you with alternatives or do something with their own VROC implementation for that particular platform.

That being said, and since there is no additional assistance or information we can provide on this topic, the thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos