Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
318 Discussions

dx38bt: a bootable device has not been detected

bharatish
Beginner

(I am not sure if this is the right forum.)

The MB Intel DX38BT worked well so far.

Recently it is posting below msg while booting the PC:

"a bootable device has not been detected"

However F12 key lists the diskdrives correctly and can boot from listed diskdrives without any problem..

I  have tried various boot cfg options but do not help to correct the problem.

Please direct to right forum and any documented solution to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
ptelles
Beginner

Thank you, @n_scott_pearson.

Unfortunately, this bug renders the board unable to boot any OS/Device in UEFI mode from the F4 and F10 boot menu(s). Only legacy MBR works, even with UEFI boot enabled. Hence, there is no way to boot an UEFI OS or Shell and clear the NVRAM boot order.

At least in the case of the D5400XS desktop board, there is no built-in EFI Shell. Compounding matters, the NVRAM is not in CMOS memory. It is stored on the SPI flash chip with the firmware. Hence, clearing CMOS and/or removing the battery doesn't help.

Yesterday I downgraded my BIOS from the last release (version 1353 dated July 24, 2009) to version 1175 (November 21, 2008). The flash was successful, but it did not clear the NVRAM.

The last thing I can think of to try is to see if it can UEFI boot via PXE as PXE is handled by the embedded NIC option ROM.

This problem affected much newer boards than mine. For example, this person had a DX79TO and was ultimately able to RMA it:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-freebsd-uefi-almost-bricked-my-pc.51989/ 

I really appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,

ptelles

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are many sources for bootable EFI Shell images. Example: How to create a bootable USB media to access the default EFI shell (Trellix). You can set up a disk image fairly quickly with this and test if basic UEFI boot is possible.

It is true that the BIOS is using flash storage for its configuration and nothing is stored in the old CMOS NVRAM -- but the clearing of CMOS is used as an indication that the BIOS should boot with a default hardware configuration. Removing the battery *can* make a difference (I just don't know if it will in these cases). Reflashing the BIOS, whether an upgrade or a downgrade, does not touch the NVRAM. Clearing it has to be a separate step. Remember too that it was recommended that any BIOS downgrade be followed by a BIOS configuration clear to ensure not corrupted.

Sadly, I have nothing new to suggest regarding the boot issue. Trying PXE is an interesting experiment, but it is also a lot of work to set up.

...S

0 Kudos