Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

i9-7900 and VROC

CTowl
New Contributor I

Good day.

I have a ASUS Prime X266-Delux MB using a i9-7900 cpu, 2 M.2 600P SSDs, and a port to plug in a VROC chip. I also have the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card that will add 4 PCIe-3.0 M.2 drives to my system. The OS is Win 10 Pro. I would like to populate the VROC port with the Premium version (VROCPREMMOD) so I can configure the card as a RAID 5. Possibly the 4 SSDs on the card plus the 2 on the MB for a 5TB R5. The ASUS literature only refers to the VROC Standard chip. The VROCISSDMOD version also supports R5 but the literature refers to it as a Enterprise solution and I have not found it for sale. I have found both of the other versions at Newegg. I have an inquiry to ASUS as well. Info on VROC seems limited or my ability to search for it is. The best information that could find is the link below and that refers to an AROCK MB and is indecisive.

The Intel literature only references the Premium VROC with a Zeon chip. Will the Premium VROC work with my ASUS MB or am I restricted to the VROC Standard (VROCSTANMOD) which does not support R5?

Thanks. Cal

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ct,

Thanks for contacting the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Support Forum, in regards to your question actually the correct VROC Key for your system it's the VROCISSDMOD Key (Intel SSD Only Key); it will allow you to create RAID 0/1/10/5 with your Intel Only SSDs (like the 600P that you refer), actually the use of VROCSTANMOD and VROCPREMMOD isn't supported on the X299 Platform based Motherboards.

Our first recommendation is to contact your Motherboard Manufacturer or OEM to purchase the Key for your equipment, but if they're not offering the Key or they doesn't have it available you can take a look to our list of Authorized Distributors it's available here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Also, additionally you can take a look at the Mouser* Electronics website, which currently has the VROCISSDMOD Key available here:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/VROCISSDMOD https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/VROCISSDMOD

Please feel free to ask more questions and to add additional details to your case if you need, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
JPlun1
Beginner

i have an evga x299 ftwk with the same processor. Is there any plans to open up RAID support to non intel drives? i Cannot raid my m.2 cards with or without vroc. It is extremely frustrating considering I spent a lot of money purchasing the latest and greatest and I have now gone back in time as far as technology goes. I was previously able to raid my m.2 drives using just the inte rapid storage controller. Why is the x299 chipset limited to the intel only hardware key? What was the purpose of this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello plunkett1919,

In regards to your question about the compatibility of Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) with 3rd Party Drives on the X299 Platform, currently it's not enabled because of compatibility reasons and to ensure that the performance will be optimal in this new technology.

Additionally, we want to let you know that this quarter we'll be releasing new SSDs which will match the performance of Third-Party solutions and that could be used with Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) to create RAIDs.

We appreciate the feedback regarding the product and it's compatibility with 3rd Party Drives and you can be sure that I will forward your comments for future product improvement.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ct,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ct,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

We'll mark this question as solved; however, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos