Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

x299 VROC Raid Problem

DP_
Novice

Mainboard: ASUS WS SAGE x299

CPU: i9 7980xe

4x Intel 1TB 760p M2

The Problem is: Only 1 of 4 Intel SSD show up in BIOS.

I tried it with both the Asus Hyper M2 X16 card and the Asrock Ultra Quad M2 Card. I tried all 16x pcie slots, set to vroc mode in bios. I also tried different Bios versions and to populate only half of the m2 slots etc. I also tested the m2 drives individually, they are working.

I read about this problem before, but I found no solution yet and i am running out of ideas.

What makes it especially frustrating is the lack of information. All i find are scattered forum posts here and there. I still dont know for sure if you can use other SSD brands or not, but to be on the safe side i bought intel SSD's.

I bought the more expensive Premium HW Key too, to have all options available. Only to read a few weeks later somewhere, that this keys do not work on x299, quote Intel:

"The X299 will be compatible with Intel SSD's and will need the VROCISSDMOD, can be used with the mentioned purpose. Other keys are compatible with server systems."

Information like this should be everywhere x299 VROC is promoted, at least on the mainboard box/manual. Odd enough i have to buy vroc keys separately from strange little vendors. I read somewhere the VROCISSDMOD for example was at 10 bucks in the beginning and i still find offers for around 25 on the internet. But the price skyrocketed on most vendors, at least the ones shipping to germany and i have to spend another 150 Euro which makes it 300 now for keys only. If Intel gets still only 10 dollars from that, it makes no sense. It should be included with a 1700 Euro CPU or a 500 Euro Mainboard or 1500 Euro Intel SSD's.

But the drives should show up without a key in pass-through mode anyway.. right?

I talked to Intel support before buying the workstation because i did not know where to get the HW keys. They were motivated to help, but did not know the answer and sent me some VROC papers after the call. But as i learned later on, these were for server systems only.

Not sure if i can still return the hardware after weeks of testing and waiting but if this also leads nowhere i will definitely try. I think i have a chance because the marketing regarding x299 VROC is kind of misleading. And so is the implementation on the Asus WS Sage board by the way. I bought it to have enough pcie slots for other cards but if you activate vroc mode in bios, half of the slots get locked for storage.

Regards,

David

24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Shane.Shan,

Thanks for your reply and we're glad you know that you got VROC RAID properly configured and working, please remember that if you require more assistance, want to add additional details, or if all your questions have been solved you can also ask us to mark your question as solved; we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shane.Shan,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

At this point we'll mark this question as solved; however, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I know this is a little late, but in the bios,

be SURE the slot you are using for the Hyper card is set to x4x4x4x4 or it won't work.

Also, be sure your CPU has enough PCIe lanes, as the i9 7900X is

the "lowest" Skylake X CPU which will support 44 PCIE Lanes.

The Skylake X refresh ( i7 9800X and above) ALL have 44 CPIe lanes.

You will likely have to update your bios on some boards to support the newest Skylake X CPU's

0 Kudos
BDixo1
Beginner

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage VI Extreme

CPU: Intel i9 7900X

VORC Key: VROCISSDMOD

After Forever, I was able to boot and install windows 10 pro on two 7600p in RAID 0 with my Asus Hyper M2 X16 card.

I moved the Hyper m2x16 card to PCIe slot no.4 PCIE x16/x8_3

Moved my video card to slot no.1 PCIE x16/x8_1

Set the DIMM.2 slot to PCH and NOT CPU..

Search for these drivers below... I know it says win8_64, but it works for me.

RSTe_AHCI_VROC_NVMe_Win_5.3.0.1413_2017.10.30\RSTe_5.3.0.1413_F6-drivers\RSTe_f6_iaVROC_win8_64

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27331/VROC-and-RSTe-Driver-for-Windows- Download VROC and RSTe Driver for Windows*

When you install the F6 driver, it says it Does NOT find the Drive, BUT hit refresh and the Array is There ! FINALLy... LOL

0 Kudos