Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

100% usage on Core 1

orvan
Beginner
Hello Experts ..
i have installed a new system :
  • Intel Core i7 2700k
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • 1 TB HD
The problem is when i monitor my cpu performance i saw that core 1 usage is always 100 % and the rest core are between 0 and %
i have updated all my drivers and still having this problem :(
any ideas?
  • Intel Core i7 2700k
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • 1 TB HD
The problem is when i monitor my cpu performance i saw that core 1 usage is always 100 % and the rest core are between 0 and %
i have updated all my drivers and still having this problem :(
any ideas?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Patrick_F_Intel1
Employee
Hello orvan,
Are you expecting something to be running on the other cores?
If you don't have more work than can run on 1 cpu, the other cpus will not do any work.
How are you measuring your cpu usage?
Pat
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>The problem is when i monitor my cpu performance i saw that core 1 usage is always 100 % and the rest core are between 0 and % i have updated all my drivers and still having this problem :( any ideas?>>>

You can download Xperf toolkit from Win SDK and perform so simple analysis of the CPU load.Run xperf.exe -on -stackwalk +easydiag.Save the file by entering this command xperf.exe -stop -d "your trace name.etl" and opent it with GUI version of xperf.You should get nice graphical breakdown by thread and core of CPU load.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...The problem is when i monitor my cpu performance i saw that core 1 usage is always 100 % and the rest core are >>between 0 and % i have updated all my drivers and still having this problem :( any ideas? If you have a Windows system: - Please use Task Manager and on Processes property page find an application that has a highest CPU Usage. - It is highly possible that it could be a Disk Defragmenter, or Windows Update, or some Antivirus software. - Please verify that Update Speed for Performance property page of the Task Manager is not in Paused state. If you have another OS similar verifications could be done.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Sergey

I do not think that @orvan is still browsing Intel forum,but anyway we are here to provide help to the others.

0 Kudos
jocurifotbalus_j_

Looking at the sidebar I noticed that core 0 was running between 93 and 100%. I had no applications running. Now this is absolutely not normal. Normally while in vista or on the net my cores run between 0 and 4% and for jocuri fotbal and perhaps will be fine.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Maybe you have some kind  of interrupt storm and or high DPC usage?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

jocurifotbalus j. wrote:

Looking at the sidebar I noticed that core 0 was running between 93 and 100%. I had no applications running. Now this is absolutely not normal. Normally while in vista or on the net my cores run between 0 and 4% and for jocuri fotbal and perhaps will be fine.

Can you check your CPU load with the Process Explorer?Posting of the results will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>...The problem is when i monitor my cpu performance i saw that core 1 usage is always 100 % and the rest core are >>between 0 and % i have updated all my drivers and still having this problem :( any ideas?>>> IIRC one of the cores by default is used to service hardware interrupts its ISR's and DPC routines.As I stated earlier in my previous post Xperf tool should reveal the culprit.
0 Kudos