Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Can I re-use the perf file descriptor for processor tracing?

Edd_Barrett
Beginner

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm writing some Rust code that involves collecting and decoding processor traces. My code calls out to C using `perf_event_open` for collecting, and libipt for the decoding.

I've almost got block decoding working, but there is one outstanding issue. Sometimes if I repeatedly collect short traces, then lilbipt chokes trying to perform the initial block decoder sync. It returns `-pte_eos` indicating that the buffer I passed the decoder didn't contain any synchronisation point. This manifested in a rather hilarious fashion when I realised my example code worked with optimisations turned off, but not with them on. I'm guessing that the optimisations made the trace small enough to trigger this bug :)

The way I trace code is like this:

• open a perf fd
  • turn tracer on with ioctl.
  • Allow code to trace to run (poll loop runs in the background to take data out of the aux buffer).
  • Turn off tracer with ioctl.
  • Terminate the poll loop.
  • Repeat more tracing sessions as necessary.
  • close perf fd

I have a theory that perhaps `close()` is needed to fully flush the PT buffer, but I can't find any documentation on this. I had been re-using the existing fd as I thought it would be more efficient. A quick hack on my code suggests that closing the fd between tracings does work.

I also tried using `fsync` to manually flush the PT buffer, but it seems like it always returns -1.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there an explicit way to flush the buffer, or should I be closing the fd after each tracing session?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Edd_Barrett
Beginner

Hi,

For anyone reading this, I think the answer is "yes, you can re-use a Perf file descriptor, but you are not guaranteed a `PSB+` packet sequence to synchronise your decoder to".

More information here:

https://github.com/softdevteam/hwtracer/issues/41#issuecomment-373340377