Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

DirectX11: big stalls in the driver of an Intel HD 3000

DZ1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm currently working on having an existing DirectX11 application running well on an Intel Graphics HD 3000 based laptop.
As a first draft, I got extremely poor performances. I have read the Sandy Bridge Graphics Developer’s guide, and of course I have planned some already known tweak & optimizations.

But, when I use the Concurrency Visualizer integrated in Visual Studio 2012, it appears that my rendering thread sometimes stalls quite randomly in the frame for more than 10ms, inside the intel driver according to the sampled callstack, which looks like to wait an internal event.

Is this the “normal” behavior of the driver (flush of the command buffer, or something else) ?
If not, Is there some known particular features of DirectX11 that could lead to this ? Is there some ways, using Intel GPA for example, to get more precise information’s about what goes wrong ?

Any help, tips or advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Unfortunately, still no updates on this because of other high priority tasks. I'm sure you know what I mean>>>

Yes I understand this pretty well:)

>>>I'm quite frustrated when working on PC with a lot of various "opaque" arhitectures and unknown driver-side or os-side behavior ;)>>>

You mean "Windows".Sadly Micrososft decided that for efficient GDI and DirectX debugging there is need to install checked build release which is not free of course.Moreover many features are undocumented.

I do not know the programming model of consoles.Do you work with some kind of API (could that be OpenGL)?

0 Kudos
DZ1
Beginner

You're right, I had to say "Windows" instead of "PC" because I've already heard that Linux offers much better control, but I've never experienced it myself.
Consoles graphics API are generally specific.Sometimes, they are "inspired" by OpenGL or DirectX for the interface, but you have much more low-level control and much understanding of what happen "behind the scene" as the architecture is fixed. Even when the API seems to be very close to another PC one, the behavior may be totally different, for example if you have a unified memory architecture, etc...

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I've already heard that Linux offers much better control, but I've never experienced it myself.>>> This the case with Intel and Ati graphics hardware as I heard Nvidia is reluctant to reveal it hardware architecture for the open source community.I remember that I was excited when AMD-ATI revealed to the general public R600 registers specification.If you are interested in getting closer to the GPU hardware I advise you to follow a reversing of nvidia drivers done by the developers from the Nouveau project.

0 Kudos
DZ1
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:
If you are interested in getting closer to the GPU hardware I advise you to follow a reversing of nvidia drivers done by the developers from the Nouveau project.

Do you have any link to provide to me plz ?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

DZ wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:If you are interested in getting closer to the GPU hardware I advise you to follow a reversing of nvidia drivers done by the developers from the Nouveau project.

Do you have any link to provide to me plz ?

Yes of course:)I'm posting link without the http or www(because of anti-spam filter )

nouveau.freedesktop.org

0 Kudos
kecoro
Beginner

i'm sory, come listen and learn with this discussion..

0 Kudos