Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Intel PCM: Measure memory bandwidth on Windows?

CHRISTOPHE_T_Intel

From experiements and reviewing the code, the Intel Performance Counter Monitor tools don't seem to be able to read memory bandwidth counters under Windows. Is that possible and I'm somehow missing something? I even tried reading the counters directly using windbg, but for some reason physical accesses above offset 0x3000 within the MCHBAR registers fail with windbg.

Is there any way to measure memory bandwidth under Windows on a 3rd generation Core i3 processor?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is a quote from: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-counter-monitor-a-better-way-to-measure-cpu-utilization ... Version 2.4 - Support of memory bandwidth metrics on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors using integrated memory controller counters ( Linux ). - Support of memory bandwidth metrics on additional server systems based on Intel® Xeon® E5 processors. ... It is Not clear if the 2nd statement is applicable for Windows and Linux platforms, or Linux only, or Windows only.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I even tried reading the counters directly using windbg, but for some reason physical accesses above offset 0x3000 within the MCHBAR registers fail with windbg.>>>

Did you run kernel debugger inside virtual machine?Or did you connect debugger to physical target(debuggee)?

Sometimes windbg will fail while reading some of MSR register addresses which are not accessible from not SMM mode of operation or which are not enabled for read/write access by Bios( like Device 8 and 9 function 2 in PCI address space).It was the cause with MSR 0x199 register.

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Intel PCM V2.8 now supports memory bandwidth metrics on your processor also in Windows (via winpmem driver).

Best regards,

Roman

0 Kudos