Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

PCM on Linux fails.

Now__Joe
Beginner

I downloaded the Git code  https://github.com/opcm/pcm

to my Linux machine in order to monitor  the PCIe data.

I then executed make and obtained some errors (but it continued to build pcm.x). See attached file Make.txt.

I try to run:

./pcm.x 1

and get message:

[root@newton pcm]# ./pcm.x 1

Processor Counter Monitor  ($Format:%ci ID=%h$)

Error: NMI watchdog is enabled. This consumes one hw-PMU counter
 to disable NMI watchdog please run under root: echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog
 or to disable it permanently: echo 'kernel.nmi_watchdog=0' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
Delay: 1
Access to Processor Counter Monitor has denied (no MSR or PCI CFG space access).

My machine  lists the following information (see attached files)

Can you please advise if the PCM program is supposed to work with my Linux machine ?

which program, pcm.x ?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
x12__the
Beginner

Did you read and follow the instructions in the error message? i.e did you run the following:

sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog

and then try running pcm tools again?

Not sure what you mean exactly by trying to "monitor the PCIe data" but I was looking to measure PCIe bandwidth per device for a GPU computing project and you should be aware that some PCIe related counters are only supported on specific processor families, e.g pcm-iio requires a Skylake Server CPU etc

0 Kudos
Now__Joe
Beginner

Yes I tried doing    sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog as root but this does not eliminate the error message.

to answer your question, by monitoring the pcie I mean to achieve what pcitree tree achieves http://www.pcitree.de

Do you know a Linux app that could do this? (I was hoping that I could do that using the pcm tool, but I did not even succeed running this code)

0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

It is not clear to me, why executing "sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog" did not solve the problem. 

However, pcm-pcie.x is not supported on client processors. In other words, you will not be able to monitor PCIe bandwidth even when you solve the problem above.

0 Kudos