Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

e1000e version 3.3.4 against kernel 4.8.8 (9,10,11)

Martin_K_
Beginner

Hello,

i try compile latest driver for e1000e, for my linux kernel 4.8.8, because i have problem with randomly disconnecting "Link down / Link up" with native e1000e driver in kernel. Approximately one or two times in 10 minutes in higher load of network card, card disconnect. It happen on 3 machines with intel network card.  With kernel 4.2.3 i have no problem for year of use on same machines. When i downgrade kernel, nothing strange happen with network card.

So i download latest driver (version 3.3.4) and i want to replace native linux driverer e1000e shipped with kernel. I downloaded it from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCI-E-Gigabit-Network-Connections-under-Linux but it have some strange bug inside...

Here is output from make:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/vyvojove-debs/kernel-router-64/linux-4.8.8'
  CC   /usr/src/vyvojove-debs/kernel-router-64/e1000e-3.3.4/src/netdev.o
/usr/src/vyvojove-debs/kernel-router-64/e1000e-3.3.4/src/netdev.c: In function 'e1000e_dump':
/usr/src/vyvojove-debs/kernel-router-64/e1000e-3.3.4/src/netdev.c:249:3: error: 'struct net_device' has no member named 'trans_start'

How can i compile latest driver against latest kernel? And will this help from disconnecting interface and loosing connectivity for few second with latest kernel?

Thank you

0 Kudos
0 Replies