Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

macOS .kext signing for performance counters

Aaron_H_4
Beginner

I've tried to install and build the Intel performance counter monitor package (v2.11) for the Mac and came across this problem:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/PcmMsrDriver.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/PcmMsrDriver.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not privileged; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8)

The problem is that macOS 10.11 and higher require signed kernel extensions. Furthermore, to sign a kernel extension you need a paid Mac account.

Would it be possible for Intel to sign the .kext and distribute the binary as well?

ps. there is a problem with the kextload.sh. 

cp -R Build/Products/Release/PcmMsrDriver.kext /tmp/

needs to be:

cp -R Build/Release/PcmMsrDriver.kext /tmp/

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alen_Stojanov
Beginner

Aaron, I have the exact same question for the Mac OS X driver. It seems that your question has not been answered for a while, which is why I have submitted an issues on the GitHub repository, where the PCM driver is currently being developed.

https://github.com/opcm/pcm/issues/4 

0 Kudos
Chris_S_3
Beginner

I'll add to this that the kextload.sh script is sincerely wedged.

cp -R Build/Products/Release/PcmMsrDriver.kext /tmp/.

build should be lowercase and Products should be removed.

cp -R build/Release/PcmMsrDriver.kext /tmp/.

Also, the file is a DOS file meaning that it has carriage returns and linefeeds. This confuses bash.

I'll post this on githup as well. I do not as yet have a working PCM on OSX from the github zip file.

0 Kudos