Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

modprobe msr get FATAL: Module msr not found.

wayne_z_
Beginner

Hello,

In my case, modprobe msr = FATAL: Module msr not found.

I have searched some related topics.

User cannot run PCM even though MSRs are R+W by Public'

Using the PCM without full permissions

I don't have the right to chown or chmod read and write permissions for /dev/cpu/*/msr yet. 

~cat /boot/config-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 | grep MSR
CONFIG_X86_DEBUGCTLMSR=y
CONFIG_X86_MSR=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ARCMSR=m
CONFIG_SCSI_ARCMSR_AER=y

CONFIG_X86_MSR=y, rather than 'm', does this means that MSR support is compiled into the kernel, not as module? (link)

Is msr module neccessary on linux? should i install msr module?

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Otto_B_Intel
Employee

You can download the software development manual from the Intel website here:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.html

Chapter 19 in volume 3 contains all the information that you need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Otto_B_Intel
Employee
Hi, it is not necessary to have it as a module, it will work perfectly fine if like in your case, the module is built into the kernel. Not being able to change the permissions on the /dev/cpu/*/msr files comes from not being root because by default root owns these files and only root can modify them. Ask your sysadmin to change the permissions for you. Cheers, Otto
0 Kudos
Otto_B_Intel
Employee
Hi, it is not necessary to have it as a module, it will work perfectly fine if like in your case, the module is built into the kernel. Not being able to change the permissions on the /dev/cpu/*/msr files comes from not being root because by default root owns these files and only root can modify them. Ask your sysadmin to change the permissions for you. Cheers, Otto
0 Kudos
wayne_z_
Beginner

thanks, Otto.

Another question, I read pcm developer api and code. It seems that i am unable to get Floating Point Unit performance. 

I want to collect detailed performance data about microarchitecture, do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Otto_B_Intel
Employee

You can download the software development manual from the Intel website here:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.html

Chapter 19 in volume 3 contains all the information that you need.

0 Kudos