cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

665p fails to write file reproducibly

KurtKnopf
New Contributor

I have a vmdk file of 67GB which I cannot write to a NTFS partition on a 665p 1TB because it fails with either permission denied or generic I/O error.

I've tried the following things:

- Copy directly via Wifi

- Copy directly via LAN

-Copy as zip (from server via LAN which worked) and extract (which failed)

-Copy as splitted (5GB files, from server via LAN, which worked) and recombine (which failed)

This is on a Windows 7 ESU where none of the Intel tools are supported AFAIK.

As there is also no firmware update available I am out of ideas how to proceed.

10 REPLIES 10

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello KurtKnopf,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 665p Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• Please, let us know if this Intel® SSD 665p came pre-installed with your PC.

• A screenshot of the “Disk Management” showing all the storage devices. To access the disk manager, you can choose from the following two ways:

# 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu.

o Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

# 2: Access Disk Management via Run.

o Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box, and tap OK.

• We would appreciate it if you can provide us with the system details by extracting the SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.

2- When you finish downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

• We would appreciate it if you can try to copy the same file to another storage media like a thumb drive or an external hard drive.

• We would like to know if you can copy other files into this SSD.

• We would like to check the SMART attributes of your Intel® SSDs and review them to see if they show any error:

*Please extract the following logs by using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29337/Intel-Memory-and-Storage-Tool-CLI-Command-Line-Inter...

- SMART attributes: intelmas show -smart -intelssd “SSD_index”.

-The SSD information using show -all command from Intel MAS CLI: intelmas show -all -intelssd “SSD_index.”

A complete User Guide is available below. Replace the “SSD_index” with the actual index number of your SSD.

User Guide:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30059/eng/Intel_Memory_And_Storage_Tool_CLI_User%20Guide-Public-342...

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 17th of June 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

The SSD came not preinstalled but was added later.

I can copy/extract the same file to a USB harddisk on the same machine.

All the requested data and screenshots is attached.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello KurtKnopf,

Thank you for your reply and the information provided.

We reviewed the screenshots and SSU logs, and we would like to know the following:

1- Since you have several partitions on this SSD, are you receiving the same error when copying to any of them?

2- Would you mind providing us with a screenshot of the error?

3- Do you have another system that you can test the SSD?

4- Are you able to back up your information and run a low-level format on this SSD?

If your answer is yes, please follow the Three Ways To Run Low-Level Format Using Intel® Software Tools article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006011/memory-and-storage.html.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 22nd of June 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

KurtKnopf
New Contributor

1 - Just tried to write it to the D partition instead of F but had the same behavior. When copying with Explorer the copy operation stalls, when combining the smaller chunks with cat I get a generic I/O error message

2 - It's really just a generic i/o error without any details. And when copying with Explorer it simply stalls/hangs after reaching more than 55GB

3 - I could only connect it with a NVMe-USB-Adapter to another machine. Would that make sense for testing?

4 - Not really. Only as a final test when everything else has failed.

NB: I tried to install the latest Win 7 Intel Client NVMe drivers (4.4) but the drive still uses the Windows driver. I also played with the OS cache option on the drive settings but disabling the write cache did not make any differences.

Please advise.