After more than three years my 530 240 GB SSD has degraded with 3 %, so the new estimated life remaining is 97 %. I feel this is a wonderful proof of Intel's reliability.
But at which point would it be wise for me to change to a new SSD? I would like to get thoughts from professionals as well as ordinary PC user.
I've had my 80GB X25-M in my main desktop PC running 24/7 since I bought it back in November 2009 - eight years ago.
It has six reallocated sectores, "99%" life remaining, and has written 5.2 terabytes.
There's no particular rush to replace yours...
We understand that you would like to know if your drive needs replacement due to the estimated life remaining since it has dropped 3% already in 3 years.
This will definitely depend on how do you use the drive and where, for example, if the drive is used in a data center environment, it will drop faster than if it is used as a consumer drive.
Could you please provide the following:
-Workload of the SSD (i.e. Home use, Data Center, etc)
-The SMART details from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27130/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox (By clicking the export button)
-Model code from the label of the SSD (Starts with SSDS...)
We'll be waiting for your response.
Thanks for the response. Based on the information you shared, we can see that the disk has written 39TB already, take into consideration that this is a 240GB capacity SSD.
The media wear-out indicator is barely decreasing, after knowing the amount of data that the disk has written.
This is a three years old drive (According to the day it was manufactured), so if your workload is home use, it could be possible that there is a program writing a lot amount of data over all this time.
You could check the "program and features" option for the control panel and verify which ones you use and which programs you don't.
We don't have a program that we can recommend to install and check that specific situation, as we previously mentioned, this could be the situation of the amount of host writes in your drive.