Solid State Drives (NAND)
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on NAND technology
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
3783 Discussions

X25-M performance issue in Windows 7

idata
Community Manager

I installed Windows 7 on my brand new X25-M, everything went smoothly.

I tried to run ATTO disk benchmark to make sure the drive was performing as expected but I was shocked to see reading speed of 140-150MB/s.

Then I plugged back my old HD as primary and the X25-M as secondary, booted under XP, it detected the drive, ran the same becnhmark and I got 250-258MB/s reading speed!

Because I can get the expected performance under XP I am 100% sure my bios and cable settings are correct. I tried to update the chipset drivers under Win 7 but it still performs poorly.

Then I though Win7 was operating my drive as a SATA 1 device but when I turned off Write Caching I could reach 170MB/s reading speed which is a little more than the SATA 1 interface limit.

I am now clueless.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM (Intel G965 chipset)

Drive: X25-M (firmware 8820)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

**** Update ****

I decided to take a bet and to buy a new motherboard (P5E-VM with a ICH9R chipset) in the hope to solve the problem. It worked! I can now reach the expected fast read speed (250-260MB/s). One could think that it doesn't make a real difference in daily usage but its wrong! I can feel that everything is a little bit faster!

PS: Why not just go back with XP you may ask? After a few days with Win7 I could not go back with XP, it seemed suddenly very old and patched!