cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 SMART not enable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Just installed a new system with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 mobo and a Intel 520 SSD.

My SSD toolbox won't run the optimizer and also says that SMART is disable.

I can't see anything about SMART in the BIOS.

How do I get this running?

Best regards

Mic

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@ J.C.***Your detailed instructions did indeed solve the problem of Intel SSD Optimizer being grayed out. It is necessary to do the install "the long way", i.e. have disk, so you can point right to the iaACHI.inf file. Just saying upgrade the driver doesn't do it. Thanks for the write up.

@D749***I'm with you!!

PPapp
New Contributor II

It's been how many months now and Intel has still not addressed this issue?!?!

DSane
New Contributor

The problem finally seems to be fixed with the latest RSTe driver version 3.2.0.1135 from about a week ago. I experienced the same problems discussed in this thread (Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, Intel 330 180GB), and they were fixed after downloading and installing that new version of the driver. The RSTe GUI now correctly reports that the storage controller works in AHCI mode, the Intel SSD Toolbox recognises my SSD and all its features seem to work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the heads up. Latest RSTe driver version, which really shows as 3.2.0.1126 when unpacked, seems to indeed work. I am not, however, using a RAID setup but I can tell you that even with a single SSD (C), the grayed out problem is gone. Also, from the ASUS Republic of Gamers comes this info:

Run Command Prompt with as administrator) and enter the follow command.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

Did it and got 0 so hopefully further confirmation of solution. BTW, this is on ASUS P9X79 pro MBO.

DSane
New Contributor

Just checked my installation, you are right, mine reports as 3.2.0.1126 as well. Glad to hear your SSD is now detected as well.

S.M.A.R.T. and the SSD Toolbox are, as far as I know by design, still not supported if the storage controller runs in RAID mode. I don't know if there are controllers that support TRIM for RAID configurations of SSDs, but I hear it's quite an involved problem.

The fsutil parameter check determines whether Windows 7 is configured to issue TRIM commands to SSDs, but unfortunately does not help in determining whether the driver successfully receives and forwards them to the drive. My system reported '0' even though my SSD was not detected as such (it was listed in the automatic defragmentation schedule, which Windows doesn't do if it recognises an SSD). The most definite proof that everything works is probably when the Intel SSD Toolbox successfully reports health and status of the drive.