cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel 535 hardware encryption bug?

BBalo
New Contributor

Hello,

I use inbuilt hw encryption on this drive, without any problem for a long time.. but today after my computer froze, I did a hard reset on it, system booted as usual and I saw the password prompt for hdd.

No matter how many times I tried my (correct) password, it always resulted in an error "Invalid password", I did several soft resets, but nothing has helped, my password was still not recognized.

I thought something (??) went very wrong and my data is lost, but I tried one last thing - powering (shutting) down the computer and starting it again and after that, my password was accepted again!

This accident cost me some nerves and I'm glad it was not fatal. I'm curious what could have caused this. My system froze before, but this was the first time this problem occurred.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Balo,

Thank you for posting in our forum.We understand your SSD went into some kind of frozen state and it was not accepting your password. This may be caused by either the drive itself or the computer BIOS; however, it is really hard to tell according to the scenario presented.Our guess is that the drive could have been in a secure lock state and only after a power cycle or a restart of the whole system it went back to normal state.If by any chance this happens again, we suggest you to try to unplug the cables while the system is on (In case the drive is SATA form factor) and try again.In case you need further assistance, you can always provide us the logs from the drive, using the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Balo,

We are following up and we would like to know if you need anything else about this thread?We will be waiting for your response.Regards,NC

BBalo
New Contributor

I realize this might have been a quite rare accident and something hard to reproduce.

I just wanted intel and others know it may happen, and thankfully it does not mean data or SSD is lost.

Thanks for reply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Balo,

Well yes, it was quite strange or rare. Thanks for the report and we are glad there was no data lost on it.Have a nice week.Regards,NC