cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.2 TB Intel SSD 750 Series trouble

BHalt1
New Contributor II

My PC has been operating properly now for several months with no issues. However, all of a sudden now my motherboard seemingly does not find the Intel 750 SSD on a cold boot. Strangely enough when I remove the SSD from the PCIe slot and place it back, the computer boots into windows (installed on the Intel 750 SSD). This happens every time. In fact, if I let the PC go to sleep, it happens then too. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the SSD? I have gone through and checked/updated all drivers for the SSD and the computer/operating system/SSD seem to work just fine once I remove the SSD and replace it then boot... This is very strange and I am completely lost here. Again, I have only had the hard drive for a few months and I love it, but I need to find out what is causing this issue. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specs:

Intel 6700K

ASUS Z170 Deluxe

GTX 1080

Intel 750 1.2 TB

3440 x 1440 Predator w/g-sync

ASUS AC1900 Network Adapter

Thermaltake Pacific RL360 RGB Water Cooling Kit

32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 RAM

3 - Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB SSD

1 - 1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD

49 REPLIES 49

BHalt1
New Contributor II

As mentioned before, I have already tried other PCIe slots. As an example, slot 7. In fact, the SSD is currently in slot 7 and I still need to remove the SSD and replace it in order to boot.

I watched that youtube video and many other when deciding to buy the SSD. I know I have it installed correctly. So I don't think that's it.

I have wondered if there is something wrong with the motherboard. But, I am not sure. All other devices work fine when plugged into the same PCIe slots where the SSD does not work fine. Including the gpu. I have been swapping things around like crazy trying to figure this very strange issue out.

I am tempted to buy another drive to see if that works... Maybe clone this one onto the new drive if it does and then request a refund for the existing one... Not sure if that is possible. I guess I haven't done this yet because of the risk that the SSD is fine and then I will be stuck with two SSD NVME drives. That would be awesome but needlessly expensive.

I don't really know another way to troubleshoot the problem.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello bkhalterman,

I don't believe that replacing the drive would resolve the issue.This seems to be a timing issue between your motherboard and the SSD, to the point that the system wakes up faster than, or fails to wake up the drive.The next thing for us to try here, will be to disable any fast boot options that your motherboard offers either through the BIOS or as well as the OS. Motherboard:ASUS* UEFI BIOS Utility > Advanced Mode > Boot > Boot Configuration > Fast Boot.Windows*:- Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power buttons do" > "Change settings that are currently unavailable." > Under "Shutdown settings", uncheck "Turn on fast startup".We hope this makes a difference. If not, you may want to engage ASUS*, since the Z170 chipset is not on our tested/compatible list for this SSD. Since it's a newer chipset, it should work, but it might need some additional settings from a motherboard perspective.- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/000005729.html Tested Compatible Motherboards with the Intel® SSD 750 Series.- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000005956.html Physical Installation Instructions for Intel® Solid State Drive 750 Series.Best regards,Carlos A.

CKlei2
New Contributor

I've got a Asus Z170-WS with 750 U.2,got windows installed and ran fine for a couple of days. Went into sleep mode and the drive is gone.

SChaa
New Contributor II

I have the same probleme with asus Z170....disappointed with intel...

SChaa
New Contributor II

thank you for your reply!

What I have already done:

1. Full Diagnostic Scan with Intel SSD Toolbox (photo) (ALL THE systéme has freeze during the diagnostic for Twice, but i haven't to restard)

2. Secure erase with bios (Asus mother board last official version Bios) AND with Intel Toolbox.

3. Format the SSD with http://www.hdat2.com/ HDAT2

4. The last driver for the Intel M2 SSD 530 series (tray with Intel update utility and manually "Reboot with a CD")

5. Reinstallation Win 7 and Win10 64 bit.

6. Until Now no other Software installed in my pc (all Driver official and updated: chipset, audio, GPU...)

7. Disable "Fast boot" in the Bios.

8. OCCT 4.4.2 (stress test) test for All components for hours (CPU, Chipset, GPU, Power supply...) but NOT with the SSD (Another HDD).

8. But still no luck....

NB: The SSD look more stable winth "Windows mode without failure"

I Have attached here:

1. Screenshots of the results Intel Toolbox

2. Drive's SMART details

3. FULL System specification

thank you very much!

1. Screenshots of the results Intel

2. Drive's SMART details

05Re-allocated Sector Count23100009Power-On Hours Count 2810000CPower Cycle Count 1041000AAAvailable Reserved Space010010ABProgram Fail Count01000ACErase Fail Count01000AEUnexpected Power Loss Count421000B7SATA Downshift Count 121000B8End-to-End Error Detection Count010090BBUncorrectable Error Count16800BETemperature 68722950171270Current TemperatureHighest TemperatureLowest TemperatureC0Unsafe Shutdown Count 421000C7CRC Error Count 01000E1Host Writes 1000E2Timed Workload - Media Wear655351000E3Timed Workload - Host Read/Write Ratio601000E4Timed Workload Timer 655351000E8Available Reserved Space 010010E9Media Wearout Indicator 01000F1Total LBAs Written 1000F2Total LBAs Read 1000F9Total NAND Writes 1000<td...