cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 TB 540S SSD keep corrupting

RMaic
New Contributor

Hi

I have have 4 intel 540S 1 TB ssd drives corrupt. On one of the drives I ran to intel toolbox and it has read errors and said to talk with your distributor or intel rep. I ran the test a second time and it passes now. Were these errors just mapped out??. On two other drives that corrupted the toolbox found no errors. The drives were not at the latest firmware but were new drives. I have no problem with 500 GB 540S drives. Is there a problem with this series and should I be replacing these drives or do you think the firmware upgrades should fix the problem. No trust in using these drives anymore.

thanks

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi rdmco,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please confirm the following information: *Have you tested the SSD on another SATA port? *Have you tested the SSD with a different SATA cable? *Is there a possibility to test the SSD on another system? if so, please let us know if you have the same result. We look forward to hearing back from you.Regards,Junior M.

RMaic
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply

The drive failures happened with two different computers both which have the same Asus system board and the same Intel I7 processor

The first drive failed, could not even read the drive so it was replaced with a spare drive (540S 1 TB) which was brand new (but older firmware) and the defective drive was replaced by intel

Than a second computer started to have issues, the unit had read errors and would continuously reboot for no reason. This intel ssd drive was replaced with the replacement from the first system which again came from Intel.

Both of the replacement drives again later started showing similar issues and have since been replaced. One started having reboot and backup issues again but did pass the intel toolbox test. It did have old firmware, has been upgraded but has not been put back to service as I am not sure it can be trusted. The second computer's drive had read errors and is the one I sent the csx file in. This drive has been replaced with a WD to see if we get the same failures. The drives seem to last about 6 months and than fail.

I have not changed the sata cables on either of the computers, the power supply's are only 350 watt but I have many of the exact systems with standard hard disks with no issues and I would guess SSD used less power. Possibly the Asus systemboards are an issue but again I have a number of these system boards with standard sata platter hard disks with no issues.

I can put the drives back in computers to try again but if they fail again not sure where to go from here so that is why I started this conversation. The replacement drives direct from Intel went bad the second time so possibly firmware?

Rick

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi rdmco,

Thanks for the reply.We will investigate your situation with our additional resources. We will keep you posted with any updates.Regards, Junior M.

RMaic
New Contributor

Thank you and any help is appreciated as I do not want to loose my investment in the 540S drives but am still concerned going forward. I am now using the new 545S series when I an get them.

RDMCO

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi rdmco,

Please check your private messages. Regards,Junior M.