cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120 GB Packaging

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi All,

I purchased from a very large authorized internet retailer, and I just received my SSDSA2MH120G2K5 RT today, and I have a question for owners of Intel SSDs. One end of the box came with a label over it, from Intel, esentially sealing that end. The other end did not have a seal on it. It could be opened without braking any plastic or security stickers. Is this normal, or did I get a returned / repackaged drive?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ozz wrote:

The SSD itself should be in a tamper-evident bag. The sticker seal, which is an ESD warning IIRC, will show pretty obvious signs if it has been opened.

The tamper evident seal was intact.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If your drive came in the standard blue box used with Intel SSDs, then is should have been sealed on both ends, IMO. As you have described, the one end of the box, in my case when looking down at the top of the box in a readable position, the white Intel label with the mini-bar codes, UPC, Pack Date, etc, is on the right. The other side only uses a clear disk of sealing tape-like material, thicker than standard tape, about an inch in diameter. If one is careful, it can be removed without damaging the box. The above packaging was found on the last 80GB G2GC SSD I purchased, packed on 3/21/10. This one was purchased from a brick and mortar store.

So unless Intel is not sealing the 120GB SSDs in the same way, I would say you might just have an opened/returned one. You could also check the Power-On hours count, Power Cycle count, and Unsafe Shutdown count in the SMART Attributes in the Intel SSD Toolbox.

That new 80GB SSD that I have not used yet, besides formatting it, running the Toolbox diagnostic, and benching it with AS SSD, shows that I have 5.50 GB Host Writes in the SMART Attributes.

If you purchased an OEM type SSD, I've seen those in plain cardboard boxes, unsealed, but as mentioned above the SSD is in a plastic bag sealed with a disk of paper-covered tape.

Who knows what E-Tailers receive in packaging, can we assume it is consistent, or is it varied depending upon to whom the product is shipped? I think you should check those SMART numbers too.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I purchased my drive from Newegg. It is the retail kit, and It was only sealed on one side. The SSD bag did have a tamper resistent seal that was unopened. When looking at my box, in the same manner that you described above, it is exactly the way you described it - minus the clear tape on the left flap of the box.

I am concerned that I got a used / refurbished drive because both side of the box weren't sealed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You're OK. I bought my 120GB drive from Newegg, too, and it's got the same unsealed box end as yours. The drive inside was sealed, and shows similar power-on hours and cycles to yours (it was originally unformatted; I transferred over the partitions from my old drive using the Intel migration software).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The toolbox reports that the power on hours are 17. I have installed the drive, run a Vista install, a clean Windows 7 install, all the Windows updates, and a virus program installation. Additionally, I have left the computer idle for several hours.

Power cycle count is 20.

What do you guys think?

What other information, from the toolbox, should I post here?

Thanks for all the responses!

EDIT: Oh yeah. Drive is showing 111.7 GB. Does this seem right?