cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

240GB 530 series SSD Visible in BIOS but Not in Windows

GUnde
New Contributor

I've installed a 240GB 530 series SSD in my Dell XPS 8700. My system is two weeks old running Windows 8 with a 1TB HDD with 56GB of data on the drive. I followed the instructions by installing the SSD, hooking up the power and SATA cables, and powering the system up. The instructions state that there should be a message about the new drive after starting up. There was no message. I then downloaded the migration tool. When I try to install the migration software an error message states that I need to have an Intel drive installed. I've looked in BIOS and the SSD is there as SATA 2, which is where it is plugged in. I have tried two different SATA cables and both show the SSD in BIOS. However, I cannot see the drive in Disk management or anywhere else for that matter. Only my HDD with it's various partitions shows up. I chatted with Intel support and they had me use the Diskpart command followed by List disk to try to format the SSD. However the SSD was not on the listed disks, only the HDD. Support wanted me to install the SSD in another computer. With the SSD showing up in BIOS, I don't think it's a power or SATA cable issue. Any thoughts on solving this problem? Is there a BIOS setting or something else that needs changing? Thanks.

George

7 REPLIES 7

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Titan, hopefully you may be able to update the Intel® SSD firmware using a different system.

If this is not possible, would you please provide more information about your system?

System brand and model, operating system, BIOS vendor and chipset model if available.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am sorry George; the first and last paragraphs seem to contradict each other. I am trying to understand if the drive is now working properly in your system.

When I mentioned about the different SATA controllers I was actually referring to the hardware components. Some motherboards have multiple SATA ports identified with different colors for the respective controllers.

Sorry for the long delay in responding. You can't log on from a mobile device without a code obtained from a computer.

The drive is now working properly as far as I can tell. I was initially trying to clone the HDD to the SSD, but as I said the SSD was never visible in windows. I eventually did a clean install of windows 8 on the SSD.

From my memory the motherboard has 5 SATA ports. I think one was white and the others black. I swapped the cables around but was never able to get the SSD visible. Anyway, it's ok now.

Thanks again for your help.

George