cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

330 120G - Incorrect free space shown (non OS drive) (trim enabled)

ARick1
New Contributor

I have 330 120 gig. Running windows 7. Trim is enabled.

I have two folders on this SSD. Steam and Planetside2. This drive does not hold the OS or any installed programs.

The total space taken up by these folders is about 40gig. When i go to my computer it says 80 gigs used up.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

UHans
Contributor

You probably have a lot of old volume shadow data taking up capacity. You can do like this to reclaim it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXmHCLf178 Reclaim or Resize disk space from "system volume information" by Britec - YouTube

It's stored in the System Volume Information folder, but the OS by design prevents you from enumerating the contents. The commands mentioned in the video can be used to manipulate how much capacity is used by shadow storage.

Minor edit, fixed typos

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ARick1
New Contributor

Just for some extra clarity.

I have un-checked hide protected system operating files.

There are two system folders Recycle Bin and System Volume Information.

Both of them come to a total of about 100kb. So they are not contributing to the disk usage at all.

UHans
Contributor

You probably have a lot of old volume shadow data taking up capacity. You can do like this to reclaim it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXmHCLf178 Reclaim or Resize disk space from "system volume information" by Britec - YouTube

It's stored in the System Volume Information folder, but the OS by design prevents you from enumerating the contents. The commands mentioned in the video can be used to manipulate how much capacity is used by shadow storage.

Minor edit, fixed typos

ARick1
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I think you are right about the system volume information.

Last night i formatted the entire drive and copied all the files back onto it. It now displays the correct space usage on the disk.

I will give that video a go. Thanks again.