cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

335 240GB as ODD replacement caused idle core temperature to rise from 30C to 50C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have replaced the odd with a 240GB 335 series ssd on a Sony Vaio VPCZ13. If the ssd is removed, the core temperature average is shown as 30C by the SpeedFan 4.49 s/w while the cpu is idle. When the ssd is plugged in this value rises to 50C. It may also be observed from the fan output as soon as the machine starts -before the windows loaded-. The computer uses i7 m 640 cpu, HM57 chipset. The ssd bay connected next to the internal 4*64 GB Samsung ssd managed by raid-0 configuration. (The ssd is not included to raid-0) Windows sees the only storage controller as "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID Controller". I have updated the firmware via Intel SSD toolbox (which says it is current)

I have the symptoms of; shortened battery life time exactly by half, never everlasting fan (independent from the power plan) and uncomfortable feeling of shortening life time of the compenents.

Is this temperature rise normal? Any prevention such as a firmware upgrade to come?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I got on this board because I'm having my own problem. I'll pass this along, when my disk does it freak out thing, it gets warm to the touch. Not hot, but warm. Noticeably warm.

In normal operation it doesn't get above room temp. I should make it freak and read its temperature, just for laughs.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

With the SSD removed (and the ODD not installed) the air flow through the laptop must be increased since the disk loading drawer opening in the laptop's case is normally blocked. An average core temperature of 30C for a laptop is amazing, that is a temperature only seen in desktop PCs with after market CPU coolers. An idle temperature of 50C is more appropriate for a laptop, that is not abnormal.

The CPU and CPU cooler are located on the opposite side of that laptop's case from the ODD mounting area, so a SSD alone in that location adding 20C to the CPU temperature is very unlikely. Since the 335 is being used as a storage drive, with your (four?) Samsung SSDs as the OS drive, the 335 is idling most of the time, creating little to no heat, as Nathalie said.

The sudden drop in battery lifetime with the 335 connected does not seem possible. Reviews of the 335 I've seen show and idle power usage of ~0.5W. The ODD likely used less power than that when idle, but with the 335 used as a storage drive, how could it cause the battery life to decrease by half? Samsung SSDs (830) are not known for their low power usage, they are among the highest power usage SSDs during write operations, the 335 using less than half their power.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The caddy itself should be blocking the air way. When I remove the ssd without removing the caddy, there is no problem. The low power consumption was the reason for me to choose the model. No work is done so that makes me think that there may be some strange resistance.

Thank you for your answer.

For information, Intel Rapid Storage Technology application shows Samsung disk models as MMCRE28GQDXP-MVB. The product may be customized for the Vaio Z.