cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

520 SMART problems, help !

PCali1
New Contributor

I have a intel SSD 520 series 120gb, purchased about 5 days ago, and i have some SMART problems. Tested with SSD Life and Intel Toolbox.

Problem is: Every time i shut down my PC, then i power it up again, the SMART parameters:

AE: Unexpected Power Loss, C0: Unsafe Shutdown Count, the numbers increase !! Why ? This is a common problem, or i am the single one with this problem ? What Intel says about this ? Is normal ? Could in 2-3 years my SSD die ? Or sooner ???

And another problem, after i installed my new SSD, i've looked up in SSD Life, and the program told me that the SSD Work Time is 102 years !?!?

Please help me, or give me some advice. I've purchased the Intel SSD, cuz i've heard it's more reliable, i wanted to buy OCZ.

Here are the pictures.

http://i47.tinypic.com/10fx43r.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/10fx43r.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't worry about the Unsafe/Unexpected counts, this is a known problem with the 520 series, as is the Power-On count.

A new version of SSD Toolbox (3.0.3) is out, it may have corrected these niggles with SMART data. I'm still using 3.0.2 as the firmware itself has not been updated.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

PCali1
New Contributor

Yes, it's funny I've opened this thread here, in hope i can get some Intel official reply, but i've fixed the problem.

And the avatar is from the game called Witcher 2.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That would be great to have a Intel rep let us know if the smart thing in the tool box is working right or not but just glad those numbers no longer go up

plee21
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

Just noticed that since I moved to the Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard my Unexpected Power loss and Unsafe Shutdown counts have stopped incrementing.

This makes me think it is a BIOS or chipset issue.

Regards

Phil

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like a good "workaround" for this bug, but I have two problems :

1) My internal drives (SSD and HDD) don't appear in the "Safely Remove..." list (which is what you would expect)

2) Although using SATA/AHCI mode (in BIOS), I'm not using MSAHCI but the IRST drivers (AS-SSD detects "iaStor - OK" rather than "msahci - OK"), so doubt if this fix would have any effect.

So every normal shutdown still counts as unexpected/unsafe.

I would be very surprised if Intel tried to wriggle out of their warranty on this basis, as it is widely known and reported that the counters increment after every proper shutdown, and have yet to release a firmware or toolbox fix.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@dennisammenace i still don't think its a ssd bug but im sure its a motherboard bug with its drivers and bios. when i contacted Intel about my ssd and i told them my story they said it sounds like a defective ssd and to send all 3 in for repair but i didn't cause i know they are good from testing them on my Notebook so than i searched on my own but i found a fix

my Notebook is the same as yours, the ssd does not appear in safely remove hardware and ACHI is enabled.

my PC does not have ACHI in the bios ASUS removed the feature with there new bios release for my motherboard (P5KC) leaving only IDE mode, so i got a bios mod that merged both the old and new bios to get ACHI enabled with doing so i got the safely remove hardware icon all the time (bios bug).

Intel stopped supporting the ICH9 controller for my motherboard and so did ASUS they only have Vista drivers so Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver does not install on my PC, my ssd are connected to the 3/4 ICH9 Sata ports and i don't use the 1 JMicron Sata port that Intel says not to use.

both my PC and Notebook have Fresh Windows 7 Service pack 1 with only the video card drivers installed the rest are windows stock drivers and service pack 1 is Super FASTer than a windows without it.

sorry that i cant be much of help to the issue your having with your ssd i know its frustrating