cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

520 SMART problems, help !

PCali1
New Contributor

I have a intel SSD 520 series 120gb, purchased about 5 days ago, and i have some SMART problems. Tested with SSD Life and Intel Toolbox.

Problem is: Every time i shut down my PC, then i power it up again, the SMART parameters:

AE: Unexpected Power Loss, C0: Unsafe Shutdown Count, the numbers increase !! Why ? This is a common problem, or i am the single one with this problem ? What Intel says about this ? Is normal ? Could in 2-3 years my SSD die ? Or sooner ???

And another problem, after i installed my new SSD, i've looked up in SSD Life, and the program told me that the SSD Work Time is 102 years !?!?

Please help me, or give me some advice. I've purchased the Intel SSD, cuz i've heard it's more reliable, i wanted to buy OCZ.

Here are the pictures.

http://i47.tinypic.com/10fx43r.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/10fx43r.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't worry about the Unsafe/Unexpected counts, this is a known problem with the 520 series, as is the Power-On count.

A new version of SSD Toolbox (3.0.3) is out, it may have corrected these niggles with SMART data. I'm still using 3.0.2 as the firmware itself has not been updated.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

bloz
New Contributor

Hello everybody, i have the same problem with this in every way ugly product that i bought just one month ago.

I have had random BSOD on W7 (acer aspire laptop) and i searched for solution and found some solutions on other forums, basically i downloaded some registry adition (Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management_HIPM-DIPM) and used intel ssd toolbox to perform "system tuning action" that was recommended. I do not know if this fixed the problem but i had no BSOD fo two days now so i keep my fingers crossed.

Now, the intel toolbox shows no action on DIPM required and all diagnostic comes up OK....but then i noticed this The "unexpected power lose" and The "unsafe shutdown count" in toolbox going up over 50 and also "Ucorrectable error count" of over 3596250 of something, and was again very worried and sad about my intel ssd "upgrade" that i payed a lot of money for.

Note i do not have SSD showing up as removable storage so i do not know if this http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware" registry fix would help but i will try it.

To put it mildly i am highly disappointed about this product and in hindsight i should have bought a samsung model instead but was fooled by intels reputation and longer warranty BIG MISTAKE that i will not make again with any intel product

Basically if someone could comment on this issues it would be greatly appreciated.

bloz
New Contributor

Just as update i have restarted computer several times and did not get "unexpected power lose" or "unsafe shutdown count" going up in intel SSD toolbox 3.2.3 but now i got dramatically higher "Ucorrectable error count" over 200 000 000 WTF Intel!

Still waiting if BSOD will reappear and crash my system which is the main issue with this damn product....

Hi croboot,

The situation you are describing is very strange. Can you please try the SSD on a different computer? Is this failing as well?

Can you also run the Full Diagnostic Scan from the toolbox?

Kevin M

I have run quick and full diagnostic several time and everything else recommended like this "trim" function and all came OK.

I did not have BSOD since registry fix that was few days ago so i hope its fixed (will update on this) ,but i still get crazy toolbox reports every time i start this application once there is no "Ucorrectable error count" at all than i get some 200 000 000 wtf? "Power on hours" also seams false i get 895 008 on brand new SSD and i noticed that "unexpected power lose" and "unsafe shutdown count" go up on my Linux machine so i will not use it on that machine again because i already have 60 "unexpected power lose" and "unsafe shutdown count" so i'm worried about my warranty if i have to take this thing back to store.

You (Intel) really disappointed me and a lot of people with this product just google it if you don't believe.

EDIT : Unbelievable i just got BSOD crash when finished posting this and starting Intel toolbox, i have no idea where to start fixing this anymore looks like i will have to reinstall W7 and then if i get BSODs crashes again i will have to return this damn thing if the store accepts it back.

btw: are both HIPM and DIPM suppose to be active?

I hate Intel so much right now!

After hours of stress i found this info on some forum...

I heard rumors said that HM55 motherboards are still not compatible with SSD flash drivers. *Lord have mercy...

Since i have this chipset by the intel utility i downloaded...

Intel® Chipset Identification UtilitySystem Information

Mobile Intel® 5 Series Chipset

Intel® HM55 SATA Controller found in AHCI mode

Could drivers be the problem or chipset if self?

What version of driver should i have?