cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

520 Series SSD - Is 400i the latest firmware?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

520 Series SSD - Is 400i the latest firmware?

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec wrote:

Well, the download page for the iso file lists all the firmware updates available, under the Detailed Description heading, all in the top section of the page as it is displayed. Also, if you checked the Release Notes or the Read Me files for the iso update software, it does list what firmware is the latest for each SSD. They are on the same page that you click the iso file download.

As others have mentioned, the Toolbox will also inform you what firmware you have and if it can be updated. The Toolbox installation program will install support software that it needs, but it doesn't install the Intel RAID/AHCI driver, which is not necessarily required.

Well, I'm not sure where you're seeing the firmware version listed for the 520, but I've looked at the download page, readme and release notes for both the Firmware Update Tool and the SSD Toolbox and I can't see any mention of the 520 at all! The SSD Toolbox shows me that I am currently running firmware v400i, but there is no clear indication as to whether there is actually an update available or not. The firmware update page in the SSD Toolbox shows a greyed out 'update' button, so either there is no update available (if so, some indication would be nice!), or the SSD Toolbox isn't working correctly, I have no way of telling.

While I appreciate parsec's update from March, this is obviously only relevant at the time. Is there some way I can officially determine that I am running the latest firmware?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You could talk to Support personnel, which is a different page than the Forums. No change, still 400i for the 520.

Or just check the latest version of the Toolbox or ISO firmware update tool. Everything I wrote in my last post still applies.

As you can see, Intel does not make a big deal about SSD firmware updates, since they provide them so rarely, if ever. They announce it on the SSD forum page if an update is available. The Check For Updates button in the Toolbox Firmware Update screen will display the download page for the Toolbox, somewhat annoyingly, but it makes some sense. Check the Readme for the latest update, if nothing new, all done.

Yes, Intel has not updated the Description section on the Toolbox download page, with an entry for the 520 or 330, that indicates the current firmware version. That would help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Of course their have been Firmware updates, in fact, their have been 6 updates to Toolbox, the firmware used to control this SSD. The first firmware version was 3.0.2 and current is 3.2. the previous firmware versions were 3.16, 3.17, 3.18, 3.19. Intel isn't known for updating their actual drivers for their SSD's, after all they took 10 months optimizing the current 400i driver for this SSD.