cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

525 60GB mSATA, unable to boot or access BIOS in DC3217IYE

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SSD25So I have an SSD 525 60GB, plugged into a DC3217IYE. The BIOS version is 40 and everything worked fine (tested XP, 7, and Windows 8). I installed a wave of Windows Updates, and the system rebooted. When the system started up again, it just "froze" on the boot screen. Attempting to restart yielded the same results. I removed the mSATA drive and the system attempted to boot to the Network. At this point I was able to restart and get into the BIOS. Reconnecting the mSATA...and back to square one...frozen on the Intel BIOS Boot up screen.

I am guessing that somehow the drive has failed but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

UPDATE: Interesting development...Removing the drive, disabling UEFI, and reinstalling the drive has allowed me to get back into Windows XP. This is very strange because it had worked fine before. (Legacy boot was always enabled.) I am now suspecting that there might be an issue with the board...I am getting a backup of the installation, then will try to install Windows 8 with UEFI and see what happens...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think I know what you're talking about now. You see a splash screen and not the messages BIOS prints from POST. I was a little confused on that.

You would do yourself a favor to find out how to set BIOS to print POST messages so you can see where BIOS hangs.

Honestly, I don't know any better but it sounds like there's a problem with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and some update. I don't really remember XP anymore, but I don't think it supports TPM and that may explain why you can get back into XP.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, it seems all fine now...I cannot recreate what happened at all. Windows XP works fine, Windows 8 worked gloriously. (6 seconds from pressing power to landing at the desktop...err start menu).

Thanks for your help!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, far out. I love it when bad things go away ; )

P.S., six seconds? Woohoo. I guess I should think about upgrading : |