cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[530 120GB] Abnormal writes growth

JJung11
New Contributor

Hi, I recently(4 days ago) bought the drive. (530 120GB)

On the first day, W7 installation/updates, and SSD optimization(as far as I know) are all done:

-Chrome cache/Windows Temp files redirection (to HDD)

-Superfetch, Indexing, Paging, Hibernation, Defrag OFF

-Downloaded files are being saved on HDD

So basically there are only an OS and few light programs on SSD. (Chrome, KMPlayer, Avast Antivirus, and HW Monitoring tools, Catalyst Control Centre)

And the only tasks I have done for the last 4 days are: Web Surfing, Making 2-3 ghost images, watching movies saved in external HDD which believed not to do heavy writings on SSD,

But according to Crystaldiskinfo, I have been doing approx. 4.5GB writes per hr which seems to be definitely wrong.

Did I get an SSD with flaw? Would like to know if this is normal to other 530 users.

Helps would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

BKosz
New Contributor

You are right. Imvho 94 GB NAND Writes related with 13 GB Host Writes on a fresh drive is uncommon.

That probably would not be a much of an advice however I have seen several similar instances on other forums and to be honest the only common point I think I could probably indicate were those additional "optimizations" like moving browser's cache and temp files to other drive and disabling other things. And Chrome appeared there too as far as I can remember. I think there was an assumption that it has something to do with moving browser's cache and temp files to other drive.

I refer to this since with Windows 7 installations I do not do any of those additional optimizations, I just check if the defragmenter is disabled and if the TRIM is working. Paging file, indexing and other things are on and writing to SSDs. I am well aware that these optimizations are being mentioned by all optimization guides out there but sincerely as far as I can remember moving browser's cache and temp files was the only common point without any other real clues.

Pte_R
New Contributor

What I see on my two Intel 530 series SSDs is: the F9 "Total Nand Writes" increases 1GB per 5-6 minutes no matter what you do, even when the drive is complete idle (no OS on it and no file access whatsoever). It seems to me that there is some internal housekeeping by the controller using the flash memory cells. Updating the firmware from DC32 to DCP2 (to prevent DevSleep) makes no difference. Please Intel explain what is happening, or at least try to reproduce the problem yourself which should not be that difficult.