cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

530 SSD freezes & kills computer after a few minutes?

GJohn2
New Contributor

I have an Asus Q501LA notebook. It is running Windows 8 (not 8.1) 64bit, with all drivers and firmware current. I have installed an Intel 530 180gb SSD. I had problems with it a few weeks ago, where the computer would randomly freeze and die after maybe 5-10 minutes. Since I saw that there was a new firmware in the works, I took out the drive and waited.

Well, I just applied the new firmware that was released a few days ago, but it is still doing the same thing. Without warning or indication, the computer freezes up and dies. I get a BSOD, and it says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (it very briefly blinks on screen, I think that is what it says though). The notebook then reboots, and usually the ssd isn't listed in the bios. It has to be the SSD at fault, because it works fine with the original hard drive. Windows' Event Log isn't giving me any hints at all, which leads me to believe that it is the SSD that is spontaneously dying, thus preventing Windows from writing any events to the log. All the SMART parameters are normal. This doesn't seem to be the same problem that others are experiencing, because I did get Windows installed on it. Can anyone recommend something so that I can diagnose the problem?

Edit: Talked to Asus tech support, and they said it was an incompatibility between the SSD and the notebook because the SSD operates at 6gb/s while the notebook can only handle 3gb/s. I don't believe this at all, backwards compatibility is built into the SATA specs.

14 REPLIES 14

I'm having the exact same issue. Is there a fix for this? I am very frustrated with my 530 and the random freezing

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

So, your issue occurs when you are trying to upgrade from Windows* 8 to 8.1?

Can you provide some information about your system, such as brand and model?

cgawa
New Contributor

No. My issue is just In windows 7 64 bit. I can do a fresh install. Runs for a bit then I get a random freeze along with the BSOD. If I hit reset, bios won't recognize the hard drive. When I power down and reload windows it recognizes the ssd again like mentioned by other users. Once back in windows it will randomly freeze weather I'm using the Internet or browsing files. It shouldn't freeze like this. My other hard drives don't do this on my system

My custom build specs:

GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard with updated bios

I2500k

Gtx 560 ti

Intel 530 ssd

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

It is not the same issue as the OP had.

Did you update the Intel® SSD to the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 latest firmware?

Are you using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology or the Microsoft inbox driver for the SATA controller? Can you try the one you are not using?

Please run the Intel® SSD Toolbox diagnostic scan.

cgawa
New Contributor

In my device manager it says my sata achi controller is running driver version 9.2.0.1011

This appears to be the latest version for my intel 6 motherboard

I have also tried the Intel toolbox driver and software. I've ran the diagnostics tool and there are no errors with the drive. I still have freezing. Even after running the optimizer i'm still having freezing. I've also removed the Intel toolbox and I'm still having freeze issues.

What exact version of RST should I be running? Are all versions compatible with my intel 6 motherboard?