cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

530 SSD freezes & kills computer after a few minutes?

GJohn2
New Contributor

I have an Asus Q501LA notebook. It is running Windows 8 (not 8.1) 64bit, with all drivers and firmware current. I have installed an Intel 530 180gb SSD. I had problems with it a few weeks ago, where the computer would randomly freeze and die after maybe 5-10 minutes. Since I saw that there was a new firmware in the works, I took out the drive and waited.

Well, I just applied the new firmware that was released a few days ago, but it is still doing the same thing. Without warning or indication, the computer freezes up and dies. I get a BSOD, and it says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (it very briefly blinks on screen, I think that is what it says though). The notebook then reboots, and usually the ssd isn't listed in the bios. It has to be the SSD at fault, because it works fine with the original hard drive. Windows' Event Log isn't giving me any hints at all, which leads me to believe that it is the SSD that is spontaneously dying, thus preventing Windows from writing any events to the log. All the SMART parameters are normal. This doesn't seem to be the same problem that others are experiencing, because I did get Windows installed on it. Can anyone recommend something so that I can diagnose the problem?

Edit: Talked to Asus tech support, and they said it was an incompatibility between the SSD and the notebook because the SSD operates at 6gb/s while the notebook can only handle 3gb/s. I don't believe this at all, backwards compatibility is built into the SATA specs.

14 REPLIES 14

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

The last version of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology your system supports is 12.9.

Do you have the chance to test the Intel® SSD in a different system?

cgawa
New Contributor

I tried 12.9 of rapid storage and it still freezes. Unfortunately I don't have access to another computer to try it on. I have another ssd from another manufacturer that I run and I have no issues with it.

Is there anything else we can try or is my intel ssd drive faulty?

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

You may try a clean operating system installation just to discard software corruption issues.

It is difficult to determine if it is a compatibility issue without testing the drive in a different computer but you may replace it with your local http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel support if you believe it is bad.

cgawa
New Contributor

I've tried cleaning the operating system 4 times and the same thing happens. I've tried old drivers, new drivers, even no drivers at all. Safe to say I've done everything possible and everything you've recommended.

I bought the intel ssd in another city far from where I live. How do I go about warranty?

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Please contact the Intel support center so they can inform you of the available warranty options.