cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5400s SSD unaccessible

bberg4
New Contributor

I have a Intel SSD Pro 5400s Series 512GB drive.

the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox sees the drive, but does not see any partitions.

The SMART Details are all green except for 1.

SMART ID B8 is red

Raw = 16777215

Normalized = 0

Threshold = 90

Under action it says to contact local Intel Rep.

The firmware update tool indicates that the firmware is up to date.

Any idea how to access data on drive?

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello brytnb,

Thanks for posting. We understand that the data on your Intel® SSD Pro 5400s can't be accessed.We would like to gather some information from you:- Do you have a different system were you can test this drive?- Have you tried running a full disk diagnostic using Intel® SSD Toolbox? If so, what were the results?Additionally, please provide us with the full SMART details report from Intel® SSD Toolbox. Use the export feature and attach the resulting file to your next reply.Please let us know the results.Best regards,Eugenio F.

bberg4
New Contributor

I have pictures in a rich text formatted doc showing the errors from the Toolbox attached along with the cvs file for the SMART details.

I have tried the drive on a Windows 7 machine which is where I have the toolbox installed.

I have also tried the drive on a Linux machine. The results of the HDParm command are in the attached file called identify.txt.

The first few sectors and the last few sectors of the drive can be accessed, but that is all.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello brytnb,

Thanks for providing us with the requested file plus the screenshots.We discovered your device is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Intel SSD from Dell*. Intel® SSD Toolbox can't update the firmware on OEM drives.The latest firmware version we were able to find for Intel® SSD Pro 5400s on Dell* site is LBFD11N and it can be found here:- https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=81VGJ Intel Pro5400 Series Solid State Drive Firmware UpdatePlease apply the update and let us know if it helps. Another suggestion is to run chkdsk with the /R option. You can find more information here:- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx Run Check Disk from a Command Line to Check for and fix Disk ErrorsBest regards,Eugenio F.

bberg4
New Contributor

I was able to utilize the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" tool that came with my PC to suppress the SMART error.

This allowed me to copy the data from the drive. It was a slow process but it worked.

See attached file for picture of tool.