cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 GB SSD ONLY SHOWS 8.4 MB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a 600 GB SSD that was installed on a MacBook Pro. 5 days after the warranty expired the drive stopped working in my MacBook. When connected to either a Mac or PC the drive displays 8.4 MB. Is there a way to fix the drive or recover it to it's full size?

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Could you please elaborate more by add following information:

Did you do any thing new using any disk management tool ?

As I understood from your post your SSD installed internally at your Mac , How did you test it in PC ? if external enclosure used post type and connection media

Also see if any unallocated space shown in windows disk management

regards

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for the inquiry,

Yes, the SSD was installed in my MacBook Pro, MC373LL/A.

I have not used any management tools, disk compression, partitioner on the drive. It was a straight install utilizing the MAC OS X install DVD that originally came with the MacBook.

The synopsis of what happened is this;

I went to bed with the laptop working. The next morning, I turned on my laptop and the screen showed the icon indicating that it couldn't find an OS.

After replacing the drive and installing a new HD, and installing the OS X, I was able to reboot my laptop.

I placed the SSD into a Thermaltake USB connected HD cradle that was connected to my Mac. When inserting the SSD, I receive a message stating the drive is not Initialized and I have the three options to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject. When selecting Initialize, it reads 8.4 Mb of space available.

When attaching the SSD through the same Thermaltake HDD cradle, the Disk Management application will open another window to indicate the drive, but will not provide any information.

I appreciate the response, and believe I've answered your questions and provided additional information. I look forward to reviewing your reply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

do you have any way to attach that SSD to any widows pc? if answer yes check and let me know we may use Mac file system driver for windows - if any - to detect the problem !! I hope that !

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When attaching the drive through the cradle to a PC, Disk Management will acknowledge the drive but will provide no information.