cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 GB SSD ONLY SHOWS 8.4 MB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a 600 GB SSD that was installed on a MacBook Pro. 5 days after the warranty expired the drive stopped working in my MacBook. When connected to either a Mac or PC the drive displays 8.4 MB. Is there a way to fix the drive or recover it to it's full size?

9 REPLIES 9

UHans
Contributor

It sounds like you have a 320 series drive that has encountered the known 8MB fault:

"An Intel SSD 320 Series drive may exhibit a drive capacity of 8MB and an electronic serial # field containing a message of "BAD_CTX 0000013x" caused by an unexpected power loss under specific conditions. Once this error occurs, no data on the SSD can be accessed and the user cannot write to or read from the SSD."

You can get it back to full capacity by doing a secure erase. You might also want to take a look at this thread:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Oken, you're correct, The drive is a 320 series. I'm reviewing the link you provided "Anyone else had a repeat..." as well as downloading the SSD Toolbox. Once downloaded, I'll review and attempt the Secure Erase.

Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Downloaded the SSD Toolbox, and when I connect the drive through the cradle and open the program, the Toolbox does not see the drive. Only the local HDD from the computer that the program's installed on. Any other suggestion?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SSD Toolbox cannot see the drive connected via usb port, you should connect the SSD to SATA or the external SATA port.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay Ichun, thank you for that response. I will have to wait as I've only have my MacBook with no access to a computer with either an internal or external SATA connection.