Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

600 GB SSD ONLY SHOWS 8.4 MB

I have a 600 GB SSD that was installed on a MacBook Pro. 5 days after the warranty expired the drive stopped working in my MacBook. When connected to either a Mac or PC the drive displays 8.4 MB. Is there a way to fix the drive or recover it to it's full size?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Could you please elaborate more by add following information:

Did you do any thing new using any disk management tool ?

As I understood from your post your SSD installed internally at your Mac , How did you test it in PC ? if external enclosure used post type and connection media

Also see if any unallocated space shown in windows disk management

regards

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for the inquiry,

Yes, the SSD was installed in my MacBook Pro, MC373LL/A.

I have not used any management tools, disk compression, partitioner on the drive. It was a straight install utilizing the MAC OS X install DVD that originally came with the MacBook.

The synopsis of what happened is this;

I went to bed with the laptop working. The next morning, I turned on my laptop and the screen showed the icon indicating that it couldn't find an OS.

After replacing the drive and installing a new HD, and installing the OS X, I was able to reboot my laptop.

I placed the SSD into a Thermaltake USB connected HD cradle that was connected to my Mac. When inserting the SSD, I receive a message stating the drive is not Initialized and I have the three options to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject. When selecting Initialize, it reads 8.4 Mb of space available.

When attaching the SSD through the same Thermaltake HDD cradle, the Disk Management application will open another window to indicate the drive, but will not provide any information.

I appreciate the response, and believe I've answered your questions and provided additional information. I look forward to reviewing your reply.

idata
Community Manager

do you have any way to attach that SSD to any widows pc? if answer yes check and let me know we may use Mac file system driver for windows - if any - to detect the problem !! I hope that !

idata
Community Manager

When attaching the drive through the cradle to a PC, Disk Management will acknowledge the drive but will provide no information.

UHans
New Contributor II

It sounds like you have a 320 series drive that has encountered the known 8MB fault:

"An Intel SSD 320 Series drive may exhibit a drive capacity of 8MB and an electronic serial # field containing a message of "BAD_CTX 0000013x" caused by an unexpected power loss under specific conditions. Once this error occurs, no data on the SSD can be accessed and the user cannot write to or read from the SSD."

You can get it back to full capacity by doing a secure erase. You might also want to take a look at this thread:

idata
Community Manager

Oken, you're correct, The drive is a 320 series. I'm reviewing the link you provided "Anyone else had a repeat..." as well as downloading the SSD Toolbox. Once downloaded, I'll review and attempt the Secure Erase.

Thank you.

idata
Community Manager

Downloaded the SSD Toolbox, and when I connect the drive through the cradle and open the program, the Toolbox does not see the drive. Only the local HDD from the computer that the program's installed on. Any other suggestion?

idata
Community Manager

SSD Toolbox cannot see the drive connected via usb port, you should connect the SSD to SATA or the external SATA port.

idata
Community Manager

Okay Ichun, thank you for that response. I will have to wait as I've only have my MacBook with no access to a computer with either an internal or external SATA connection.