cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600p incorrect function

JBuch5
New Contributor

Hi,

I installed a 256 GB 600p ssd in a MSI GL72 6QD laptop with W10. When I try and initialize the disk using Disk Management, I get and "Incorrect function." response from the Virtual Disk Manager. See attached png. I can see the drive in the bios and I can see the drive properties (attached png). How do I get the drive to initialize and format?

Thank you,

Jack

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Vinnybagadonuts,

Thanks for the reply.We will be working on this situation in order to get a resolution for this inconvenience.Also, when you tried to install the operating system, what happened? (Did you get the same error?)Do you want to use the SSD for storage or as a boot disc?Regards,NC

VRutt
New Contributor

Hi NC,

When I reinstalled the operation system I actually tried using the M.2 SSD in both capacities. First as a storage disk - but I got the "Incorrect Function" error, then as the main boot disk, but the installation process would not recognize / identify the SSD as a possible destination.

Here is the link to the MSI specification page for this laptop: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL62-6QD.html# hero-specification GL62 6QD | MSI Global | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider

The storage option is listed as: M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA ) I am wondering if the PCIe / SATA combo is the issue, because I believe that the Intel specifications identifies the 600p as a PCIe device and not a PCIe / SATA combo). - Just a guess.

Again, thank your for your effort!

v

VRutt
New Contributor

Further research suggests that MSI recommends the following M.2 ssd drives: Samsung SSD 850 EVO and Crucial 275GB MX300 M.2 2280 SSD 3D TLC.

Neither of these drives are PCIe, they are SATA - which makes me suspicious of the MSI specification M.2 SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4.

Could this be my issue?

V

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Vinnybagadonuts,

Thanks for all the updates and information provided. We will be passing this to our engineering department for further research and we will keep you updated soon.About the M.2 port of your system, it really makes sense what you are saying, but before jumping into a conclusion, we will engage extra resources to better address this situation.Regards,NC

JKlec
New Contributor

Hello,

I want also report that we have the same issue right now. I have bought new Intel 600p 256 GB and it can not be initialized in MSI GL62 6QD. I have no other PC to use this disk in so it is right now piece of useless hardware for us. I hope solution will be find soon.