cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600p incorrect function

JBuch5
New Contributor

Hi,

I installed a 256 GB 600p ssd in a MSI GL72 6QD laptop with W10. When I try and initialize the disk using Disk Management, I get and "Incorrect function." response from the Virtual Disk Manager. See attached png. I can see the drive in the bios and I can see the drive properties (attached png). How do I get the drive to initialize and format?

Thank you,

Jack

34 REPLIES 34

RRobe5
New Contributor

Hi Jack:

I am using the same m.2 NVMe PCIe ssd in a NUC5i3RYH mini-computer. I am using it as the operating system drive though. If it's any help I followed the following procedures to install the ssd:

1. I had a 2nd HHD, a WD black 1TB HHD for storage only and it was initialized as GPT

2. I set the bios UEFI, Secure Boot, boot from USB first

3. Using RUFUS, I "burned" Windows 10 Pro to a USB drive with settings at: GPT partition for UEFI computer, FAT32, Create a bootable disk using ISO Image (after selecting the Windows 10 ISO you

might have to change the file system back to FAT32

4. With the ISO usb inserted restart and select the USB key with the prefix (UEFI)

5. When the Windows 10 setup screen comes up choose the Intel m.2 ssd and windows 10 will automatically set up the ssd with the right partitions for a GPT disk in UEFI as long as you have the bios set to UEFI, Secure Boot and Legacy mode disabled. If you have the OS installed on the other HHD, best either disconnect it or delete the OS partitions during the SSD OS install before selecting the SSD to install Windows 10.

6. You won't need to initialize the SSD since Windows 10 automatically initializes it in GPT to match the bios setting.

If you don't want to use the ssd as OS drive I am not sure how to solve your problem, but I think I remember reading that NVMe ssds require use in a computer using UEFI and yours might have UEFI bios but be set to run in Legacy or compatibility mode. This might prevent the use of a NVMe PCIe ssd. (I don't think you can change that if an OS is already installed)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello JackBuchanan,

Thanks for posting in our forum and providing pictures of the situation you are experiencing.Regarding the error you get, the initialization process should be just simple, but seems not to work on your end. You could try with the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19324/Intel-Data-Migration-Software Intel® Data Migration Software and select the "add new disk" option.The error is not very common; however, you can try the software above and let us research deeper on this.Regards,NC

JBuch5
New Contributor

I tried the Intel Data Migration tool and got the attached response -- it did not recognize an Intel SSD present.

I have a NUC as a desktop machine, so I could try to initialize that way. That would require me creating a boot thumb drive which would put me on the path to the first response as well. My existing SSD is the current OS drive on the NUC.

I will also check with MSI to make sure that the drive is compatible.

Thank you. I will let you know when I have an update from MSI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello JackBuchanan,

If you can test it in the NUC it's fine, but also, if you get any updates from MSI* please let us know. We will be waiting for your response.Regards,NC